283 Chevy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 283 Chevy question

On the older small block Chevy engines (283, 302, 327), they had the oil filler/crankcase breather tube pressed in the front of the intake manifold, later models do not have it. Is the block different on them to where a later model intake will not seal? I'm thinking of buying one and transferring the intake, headers, etc off my '81 305.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

The intake will swap over fine. Alot of aftermarket intakes made after the 283 still had that hole for the breather but had freeze plugs in them to seal them off if you didnt need them.

Comment

yep, you're good, it'll all swap over

Comment

Depending on what intake that you use. I have had issues with stock style intakes with the deep heat shield on the bottom hitting the road draft tube cannister in the intake valley. Any aftermarket aluminum intake will clear no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
          Depending on what intake that you use. I have had issues with stock style intakes with the deep heat shield on the bottom hitting the road draft tube cannister in the intake valley. Any aftermarket aluminum intake will clear no problem.
          Damn, I did not know you were still around. Good to see you pop up.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
            Damn, I did not know you were still around. Good to see you pop up.

Barry
            Yea, still here everyday. Just don't post that much.

Comment

Badass. Thanks guys.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

If your going to use a pcv style system, you need to plug the hole in the back of the block also. This is where the old road-draft vent is. Just remove all the stuff under the intake and use a later style pcv.

Comment

Working...
                X