Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternator relocation and where to get heavy duty turnbuckle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator relocation and where to get heavy duty turnbuckle?

With my turbo setup comes the need for a lot of room on the driver side. I did have my alternator in the typical f-body location, down at the bottom of the engine on the driver side. I am going to move it to the only available spot which is up high on the passenger side.

After a bunch of trial and error I figured out how I am going to do it (unless someone see's a reason this won't work).

If you notice there are only two mounts on the alternator. I am going to use one as a pivot and one will be hooked up to a turnbuckle so I can manually adjust tension on the belt (I am moving the alternator to where the auto-tensioner used to be).

Since there will obviously be a lot more pressure on that one mount I am going to make a piece that will incorporate the extra mount hole on the water pump and tie it into the mount. If you look at the picture above you will see where I have the bolt just sticking out, it (along with the pivot bolt) will go through something that looks like this:

The problem I am having is where to find a turnbuckle to use. The one in the above picture is just a crappo one from Lowes that I would never trust. I need it to be about 5 inches eye to eye in it's closed position and then have another 2 inches in adjustablility.

Anyone got any idea on where to find a heavy duty turn buckle, probably in 5/16th thread or so, that has enough capacity to hold the pressure of the belt tension (as it will be acting as a belt tensioner).

Thanks.

What about something like this? http://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_M...z-4300-pbk.htm

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

See if any of these will work for you:

March Performance provides premium pulleys and brackets for a variety of engine types, including Ford, Chevy, Chrysler and more. All v-belt and serpentine kits have multiple finish types available and are backed by our Life Time Warranty. Call 1.888.729.9070 for sales & technical support questions.

Comment

Originally posted by R3_82GT View Post
        See if any of these will work for you:

http://www.marchperf.com/pg51.html#rods
        those look good, but damn are they proud of them @ 42 bucks for one of the shortest ones they make! fastnall makes heavy duty turnbuckles that support 280lb-800lbs for like 8 bucks but the shortest ones are still too long

Comment

Buy heim ends from Ace hardware, a solid piece of barstock and thread both ends. See pic. There's one on the alternator and one on the engine limiter.

Comment

M Power 1-800-364-9966
            7520 Sand St Ft Worth

They have brackets for alternators.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
              Buy heim ends from Ace hardware, a solid piece of barstock and thread both ends. See pic. There's one on the alternator and one on the engine limiter.

won't one end need to be reverse thread and a reverse threaded heim?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                won't one end need to be reverse thread and a reverse threaded heim?
                Ideally yes, but neither one of mine are.

Comment

does it still adjust that way or do you have to pre-set it and then bolt it on while using a pry bar or something to tension the belt?

Comment

does it still adjust that way or do you have to pre-set it and then bolt it on while using a pry bar or something to tension the belt?
                    my belt requires very little tension, so you can adjust as needed and push the alternator out with your hand, then put the bolt in.

The ACE hardware by me sells those RH and LH threaded heims, all you'd need are the taps...but that may kill your budget, IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                      my belt requires very little tension, so you can adjust as needed and push the alternator out with your hand, then put the bolt in.

The ACE hardware by me sells those RH and LH threaded heims, all you'd need are the taps...but that may kill your budget, IDK.
                      taps...you think i'm made of gold jigga? i'll probably just do it like you've got yours since i've already got the right normal taps.

Comment

taps...you think i'm made of gold jigga? i'll probably just do it like you've got yours since i've already got the right normal taps.
                        Hence the reason mine are the way they are.

Comment

bickel sells all the stuff you need.

Comment

Working...
                          X