Dual Wastegate placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Wastegate placement?

Per advice I was given I bought 2 38mm wastegates for my setup.

I am trying to figure out the best way I can go about mounting them.

The plan at this point is to use 1 passenger side c6 manifold on the passenger side like this (this is in order to clear the a/c compressor which mounts down low on the passenger side):

Then use one forward facing passenger side truck mainfold on the driver side like this:

So with that said the rest of the piping I plan to do like this (excuse the terrible photoshop job, just found this picture of a s400 mounted in a fox and modified it to how I plan to mine):

Will this work with the passenger wastegate being a decent distance away from the merge? Would it be better to just try to cram them both above the 5" d/p? Also, if I plan to run the w/g's into atmosphere do I need to add any pipe to direct the exhaust gasses or can I just vent them out toward the ground, etc.?

Thanks.

My answers still remain the same. One wastegate near the bottom of each bend coming out of the collector of the manifold. It doesn't matter 100% if it's collecting all 4 pulses from each collector - but more so that it's passing enough exhaust to do what's intended.

Don't merge them back into the exhaust - you will HATE putting that shit together every time, I can promise that. If it's sound youre worried about, never fear - you'll never hear those gates under normal driving, and you'll damn sure not hear them under WOT

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
      My answers still remain the same. One wastegate near the bottom of each bend coming out of the collector of the manifold. It doesn't matter 100% if it's collecting all 4 pulses from each collector - but more so that it's passing enough exhaust to do what's intended.

Don't merge them back into the exhaust - you will HATE putting that shit together every time, I can promise that. If it's sound youre worried about, never fear - you'll never hear those gates under normal driving, and you'll damn sure not hear them under WOT
      sweet. didn't recall you saying where to put them exactly. i see most put them right near the turbo flange so i wasn't sure if there was a reason for that. so just as soon as I have a bend coming out of the manifold Y off and put the gate where-ever it will fit.

Any concerns with the vented exhaust? Do you just point them towards the ground and call it a day or do you make a little pipe for each one to direct it?

Comment

A-MFin-MEN! I was telling John the other night that if/when another turbo car is built i will definitely not do my waste gate the same way it is now. Saved a ton of Room but is a BITCH to put together

1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Do you mean just venting the wastegate outlet to atmosphere?

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I would use dumptubes and route the wastegate exhaust gasses out of the engine bay.

Comment

I'm considering modifying my kit to tie the WG back into the exhaust. I'm not a fan of the sound of it open to atmosphere. Not a big deal at the track but I'd like to be able to hit it on the street without sending up a big red flag to the popo.

Comment

Dumptubes are never a bad idea, but maybe not always 100% mandatory. If those gates wind up bieng as low as I think they are, you won't need dumptubes. (they'll be near the level of the rack.)

Keep in mind James, make sure that exhaust (out of the downpipe) is getting directed out of the engine bay and AWAY from the turbo. If it's recylcing exhaust, you will have a TON of problems that are VERY difficult to find.

Comment

Working...
                X