Mounting 9000lb winch to brush guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting 9000lb winch to brush guard?

My dad wants me to install a 9klb winch on his 2010 xterra. He lives in Mexico and finds himself on washed out dirt roads somewhat often and doesn't want to get stuck in middle of nowhere Mexico (for obvious reasons).

He already has this brush/bumper guard on it.

The bottom rail has been hit and came loose on one side so I mentioned that I could possibly come in with some thick steel plate and build a base to mount the winch down low (where he'd get stuck approach angles wont be a big issue).

Do you guys think this can handle a winch? It appears to bolt to the frame, but I don't know how rigid it is. Obviously ripping the whole front end off would be a problem!

Any input?

I would get a proper winch mount
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      I would get a proper winch mount
      That's what I am saying, however I'm not sure how game he'll be since more then likely this will never (or very rarely) get used. Most likely if it does it'd be because he got stuck in some mud on a dirt road and there is nobody there to yank him out. He doesn't go crawling or need to get pulled up a rock ledge, just a simple tug.

Comment

The winch won't handle 9k lbs if the mount can't handle it. I would definately recomend getting a proper winch mount.

It won't rip the entire front end off, however, the actual grill gaurd itself will most likely collapse if it ever got near that 9k lbs. You can have the mount attached to the guard, but make sure the mount is also attached to the frame by itself to where most of the load goes to the frame and not the grill guard.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

then tell him to go get somebody else to do it
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Brush guards might be able to handle the direct forward facing tensile force, but get it anywhere sideways and that shit'll bend. About half the times I've used my winch are about 45 degrees to either side. Since its for an "oh shit" situation and not regular abuse, I'd get a come along from Home Depot and keep it in the vehicle. Before I had a winch, I carried one... it has a lot of added benefits as well. You can pull from front or rear of the vehicle and most come with a pulley that can be taken off if you need more length. I'd carry about 50ft of rope too. Still carry one as a backup if my winch ever goes. Make sure he invests in some frame tie in tow points for the front and rear. This setup is really cheap too. If he wants a winch he'll need a better front bumper, and will be looking at about 500-800 bucks.

Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
            Baja-Bob.com

Comment

i second Cooter - get a real mount.

a brush guard is just that, a guard - not an actual bumper. all that is good for is keeping small things away from the front of the vehicle, and at best a low speed cattle bumper. Based on where those mount to the frame, even if it was adequatly built, you would end up bending it putting excessive force on it by pulling from it. i have personally ripped off brush guards in ditch's - and most are mounted with minimal grade bolts.

In order to properly use a winch it needs to be secured to the frame by either a (1) hitch style reciever that is bolted directly to the frame or (2) mounted directly to the frame from some factory(exterra) or winch manufacturer authorized mount.

plus, 9K is way overkill for a vehicle that small - i might put a 9K on a 1ton diesel, hell you might rip the frame in half.... you need a 2500-4000lb - since you have 4 wheels a 2500 with a snatch block should be more than adequate for getting out of the mud or being stuck situations.

Comment

zip tie it on.

If he doesnt want to get a real winch mount then zip tie it on, it will serve the same purpose but will hurt his Nissan less when it comes apart.

Comment

That brush guard wont support a winch pulling on it. Brush guards are only for looks. They wont even hold up to running through bushes.

Comment

Working...
                  X