No announcement yet.

Mustangs with LSx swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To convert one of these motors to carb looks like just an ignition box like this http://msdignition.carshopinc.com/pr..._id/72792/6010, and an intake? Also, are the 5.3 truck motors the LS series? I see so many of them around cheap, I think I'd like to swap out the small block chevy out of the Jeep and try one.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
      To convert one of these motors to carb looks like just an ignition box like this http://msdignition.carshopinc.com/pr..._id/72792/6010, and an intake? Also, are the 5.3 truck motors the LS series? I see so many of them around cheap, I think I'd like to swap out the small block chevy out of the Jeep and try one.

Stevo
      ya, gotta buy a vic jr or gmpp carb intake, carb, and msd 6010 (to control ignition). ls motors really love the carbs on n/a applications.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
        ya, gotta buy a vic jr or gmpp carb intake, carb, and msd 6010 (to control ignition). ls motors really love the carbs on n/a applications.
        Would this one work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-71187/
        Being in a Jeep I'd like to keep some power and torque in the lower rpms.
        I need to research this, looks like less than $600 for ignition and intake. What pressure plate did you use to couple to a th350/'glide?

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Would this one work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-71187/
          Being in a Jeep I'd like to keep some power and torque in the lower rpms.
          I need to research this, looks like less than $600 for ignition and intake. What pressure plate did you use to couple to a th350/'glide?

Stevo
          stock plate, i've actually got the space/bolts you need to run a standard th350/400 converter behind an ls motor. there was another guy on here who wanted it, but haven't heard back from, i'd sell it for $20 bucks with the bolts (each bolt list for like 4-5 bucks by themselves).

Comment

not mad, this post just smells like a foxbodymike post where someone comes and ask a question, gets responses, decides he doesn't like those responses, comes up with his own answer to his question that works better for him, then acts as an authority on the subject manner. gets old. more power to him, i hope he goes deep 6's like good old billyflantos.
            You sure like reading alot into a thread.

Your the guy at the track that thinks just because you can't do it, then its impossible to do.

You have no idea what motor is going into my car, so don't make assumptions. I was merely using my TA as an example of how easy it is to get one of these motors to run well.

Comment

Stevo
              Another option is to put one of GM's distributor front covers that uses a Ford 302 distributor, then you can use any ignition you want. This is what I did. I heard of a few people having issues with the 6010 cutting out a high RPM. I put some pics of the setup over on the dfwstangs a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Thumper View Post
                Your the guy at the track that thinks just because you can't do it, then its impossible to do.
                don't make assumptions.
                irony?

Why in hell wouldn't this same combo in a 400-500# lighter car, on some good tires not run well into the 6's?
                You have no idea what motor is going into my car
                forgive me

Comment

irony?

forgive me
                  Maybe he was referring to your car

Last edited by slownbmta; 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slownbmta View Post
                    Maybe he was referring to your car

Any links to whoever makes that dist setup?

Comment

That is actually a GMPP timing cover.

slownbmta, is that setup any better than the MSD ignition box?

Comment

Originally posted by slostang281 View Post
                        That is actually a GMPP timing cover.

slownbmta, is that setup any better than the MSD ignition box?
                        I'll answer for them
                        Both...yes! MSD 6010 wasn't designed to run past 6800 rpm. Ignition issues happened to us on a 374 CI nitrous motor. Went with the gmpp timing cover and a ford distributor with an MSD 6al. Issue solved. Made over 1000 HP on the hose and 4 bolts per cylinder. Carbed!

Comment

Working...
                        X