Tire size for old coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size for old coupe

I need some help with tire figment on a 1966 coupe. There isnt much room on these cars. The old 14" American Racing wheels that were on it had an offset rear wheel. The rear tire size in unknown, well all that's printed is G60-14. I'm guessing 255? They did rub, because there were air shocks.

I've picked out a 15x8 0" offset, and could live with 4 of them. I don't have to go back to the offset, I'm not sure if it's worth the look. Id rather just stagger tire sizes if it achieves a better look.

The old fronts were 225/60/14, and rears 255?/60-14. Now a 15x8 wheel and stock suspension (no air shocks, unless required)

So I should subtract tire size to what? Will a 245/60/15 fit in the rear? I'm still in the decision making process so I'll be looking for examples. I had a 245/60 laying around though. Definately looks too large.

Tire sizes have always felt like voodoo to me, but this is a handy chart for classic Mustang tire/wheel fitment:

BTW, that looks like emberglo, which is a bad ass color. Those wheels should look cool too. Very "Torq Thrust D" looking, but different. I'd love to see pics of the rest of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      Tire sizes have always felt like voodoo to me, but this is a handy chart for classic Mustang tire/wheel fitment:

BTW, that looks like emberglo, which is a bad ass color. Those wheels should look cool too. Very "Torq Thrust D" looking, but different. I'd love to see pics of the rest of the car.
      Yeah it's like an equation with no real answer. I have completely stock suspension so it shouldn't be that hard. I've asked guys in the vintage community and the best answer I've gotten so far seems to be a 235/60/15 or 265/50/15 in the rear. Then I'll just take the front down a few sizes.

I've seen the link you posted but it's kind of short on 15x8" combos. A couple there state the 235/60 so that might be the ticket. I wonder about the 265/50 though, how close it is to the other size. I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some hoping I have no issues.

Yes it is Emberglow, and I'm really in love with this color. Those wheels just seemed to fit the car in every way, so I hope it turns out nice. I didn't want the smooth spokes of most of the torque thrusty looking wheels, I wanted it to look more like the old school sharp spokes, with a new finish.

Here's my album of all the pics from the restoration. It should be done here in a few weeks.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Bad ass, man. That's gonna be a fun car. That 2-tone pony interior is gorgeous. I had to do the GT exhaust too. Just looks too good.

I hear you on the peaks of the spokes. My old E-T's have the same feature.

Edit: this pic shows them better:

Comment

Yeah that's real close to the wheels that were on it, except a different finish. They're fine for me, except too small now with a disc brake conversion. I don't like the rounded torque thrust look. They honestly look like flower pedals or something. I also hate seeing a 17" wheel on these cars, it looks terrible IMO. I like more tire.

Do I have to use 15x7 on the front?

I was going to put 15x8 all around, but in that fitment chart, everyone used a 15x8 rear and a 15x7 front. Luckily I've only bought one wheel, and plan to put in the whole order tomorrow.

Here's one of the only pics with the old wheels.

Last edited by Baba Ganoush; 10-19-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Hell, I like those old wheels. What brakes did you go with that they were too small? My 14's clear the Granada calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
              Hell, I like those old wheels. What brakes did you go with that they were too small? My 14's clear the Granada calipers.
              Yeah they have seen better days lol. I did the Scarebird conversion. It uses Ranger rotors, and they won't fit. Oh well, I think a 15" will be just right.

I think I'm settled on sizes after enough research.

235/60/15 on a 15x8 in the rear
              205/60/15 on a 15x7 on the front
              Last edited by Baba Ganoush; 10-19-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X