Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geo Metro 1.0L 3cyl, hard start, wont idle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geo Metro 1.0L 3cyl, hard start, wont idle.

180,185,180 psi in the 3 holes.

plugs are new, didn't change anything. car ran fine, then suddenly started acting funny.

not seeing any "webbing" in the dark from spark escaping, fuel pump/pressure is good. not sure where to go from here.

TIA

There are a number of things. IAC, TPS, Crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, MAF...

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
      180,185,180 psi in the 3 holes.

plugs are new, didn't change anything. car ran fine, then suddenly started acting funny.

not seeing any "webbing" in the dark from spark escaping, fuel pump/pressure is good. not sure where to go from here.

TIA
      Get Auto Zone to pull the codes

Comment

Or do what I did to my wifes (Metro vert), pill it till you kill it. Took a 125 shot to kill that little POS.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
          Get Auto Zone to pull the codes
          No codes, and more importantly no OBD port to hook up to.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            There are a number of things. IAC, TPS, Crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, MAF...
            Wouldn't a faulty TPS or CPS cause it to run shitty all the time? Seems like once i'm above idle it runs just fine.

Comment

A faulty camshaft position sensor would make it hard to start and idle bad, it wouldn't run if the crankshaft position sensor was bad.
              '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
              '13 Dodge Cummins
              '14 Rubicon X

Comment

No codes, and more importantly no OBD port to hook up to.
                ? carb'd or did your wiring get hacked up?

OBD2 is a little more consistent with displaying a CEL when a code is present but OBD1 won't set a light off with quite a few codes. What year is the Metro?

edit: thinking it may be an o2 sensor issue... whether the sensor itself or a cracked exhaust manifold that causes the sensor to think it is lean. I had the latter issue with my Metro.

Comment

Engine is in a buggy. Details, Kyle. Details.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Aren't these bad about jumping time? Check the belt.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Thought it was tbi.. im a retard it has a weber carb on it. Pulled it apart and cleaned all the jets, everything else looked fine. Wiring is a hackjob,it needs to be reworked this winter. Itll start and idle on a few pumps of the pedal but if you "blip" the throttle it will idle down and stall. idle screw was firm and hadn't worked backwards any. I'm stumped, dont know shit about carbs.

Comment

Wouldn't a faulty TPS or CPS cause it to run shitty all the time? Seems like once i'm above idle it runs just fine.
                        Thought it was tbi.. im a retard it has a weber carb on it. Pulled it apart and cleaned all the jets, everything else looked fine. Wiring is a hackjob,it needs to be reworked this winter. Itll start and idle on a few pumps of the pedal but if you "blip" the throttle it will idle down and stall. idle screw was firm and hadn't worked backwards any. I'm stumped, dont know shit about carbs.
                        Wait what? The Metro didn't come with a carb. not stock anyway. Sounds like a vacuum leak or a choke issue maybe. I am a demon when it comes to EFI systems, there is nothing I can't solve, but I am terrible with carbs.

Comment

I did notice the choke plates weren't opening up at all under any condition, and if there's supposed to be a wire connected to the diaphragm.. it's not there. I could get it to run (albeit @ a high RPM) with them wide open... Can't I just pull the choke plates and assembly out?

The more I get into this thing, the more I feel like I need to pull it out and just start over.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Engine is in a buggy.
                            Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            Wait what? The Metro didn't come with a carb. not stock anyway.
                            Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Engine is in a buggy.

i.e. stock internals, but not "stock"
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I did notice the choke plates weren't opening up at all under any condition, and if there's supposed to be a wire connected to the diaphragm.. it's not there. I could get it to run (albeit @ a high RPM) with them wide open... Can't I just pull the choke plates and assembly out?

The more I get into this thing, the more I feel like I need to pull it out and just start over.
                              The choke should open once the engine warms up. Again, I know very little about carbs, but if it's not opening, that is likely your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X