Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTB fail. According to them caster will never casue a pull.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grape View Post
    tell him you want to see wheelbase and axle squareness............
    Ok, you saying they can't? Any experiences you would like to share?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
      Can someone explain how caster would effect pull if the suspension is not going up and down? Like I said, I can understand under bump but if it's static I don't see it pulling.
      Well, correct me if I'm wrong. But on a solid front axle, if one side has the eccentric bolt different from the other, you'd have one control arm longer than the other. That would mean essentially the solid axle is at a slight angle to one side, which would cause it to pull in that direction.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        Well, correct me if I'm wrong. But on a solid front axle, if one side has the eccentric bolt different from the other, you'd have one control arm longer than the other. That would mean essentially the solid axle is at a slight angle to one side, which would cause it to pull in that direction.
        I was thinking strictly in a SLA IRS setup, in the live axle situation, if the toe is adjusted, and there is no bump(travel), i would think it would go straight, maybe one of the guru's in here can explain in detail why that's incorrect
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I was thinking strictly in a SLA IRS setup, in the live axle situation, if the toe is adjusted, and there is no bump(travel), i would think it would go straight, maybe one of the guru's in here can explain in detail why that's incorrect
          Well if you have unequal control arms lengths (uneven caster adjustment) it would cock the axle at an angle, wouldn't it? That's how you adjusted for road crown back in the day, from my understanding.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

caster naturally tries to find center on steering, if you have a greater amount on the right front than the left, the force will overcome the centering force from the other side, very simple. This is the case in ANY type of suspension.
            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Caster is not neccesarily forward or backwards,its the position of the spindle or knuckle.If you was sitting on a unicycle and leaned it back you would fall on your ass because it would roll forward,if you leaned it forward you would land on your face because it would roll backwards.Its confusing but when i do drag cars i set the caster as far high as possible because you want forward roll.Pulling has nothing to do with bumps.

Comment

Ok, you saying they can't? Any experiences you would like to share?
                more than likely. If he's setting up race cars without a surface plate, turn plates and beams, i'm pretty confident he has no idea what direction the rear axle is pointing.
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Basically what it boils down to is either they tried to adjust it and couldnt get it all the way,there isnt any adjust bolts installed,or they didnt try and you should go somewhere else.

Comment

Well if you have unequal control arms lengths (uneven caster adjustment) it would cock the axle at an angle, wouldn't it? That's how you adjusted for road crown back in the day, from my understanding.
                    that's camber gain which is how roll centers are adjusted. there is something called caster gain, but it usually called anti-dive. this is the inclination difference between the upper and lower control arm in relation to the same axis as the centerline of the car.
                    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

As stated they were likely out a bit or in the "red" and he didn't want you freaking out because of the color of ink on the paper. Caster will cause a pull but won't wear tires. if the split is close and it won't wear tires most techs will set the toe and let it go. ? Is does it pull. If not then no need to freak out. If they set camber and toe and the truck doesn't pull then you got what you paid for.
                      89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                        that's camber gain which is how roll centers are adjusted. there is something called caster gain, but it usually called anti-dive. this is the inclination difference between the upper and lower control arm in relation to the same axis as the centerline of the car.
                        camber gain on a solid axle? How does that have any influence on camber seeing as it can't be adjusted?

Comment

camber gain on a solid axle? How does that have any influence on camber seeing as it can't be adjusted?

I dont think Grape is refering to a solid front axle set up. If on a solid axle you get a camber change, you have bigger issues at hand!

NTB are idiots as stated before. Run away.
                          Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

What if the car was on a treadmill?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnimike1 View Post
                              What if the car was on a treadmill?
                              it wouldn't take off, as it would veer out of control to the left or right and crash before reaching the end
                              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Alot of solid front axle vehicles have a adjusatment for camber in the upper ball joints and or the ball joint bushing.

Comment

Working...
                                X