Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb question

So if I am setting up a 306 to run a carb, and I have late model valve covers ( hole on side of filler neck) how do I vent the crankcase? I planned to run a hose from the filler neck into the bottom of my air cleaner, but I'm lost from there. Do I need a fresh air source on the other valve cover? Or what? I'm running a x302 FMS crate engine, air gap intake and a Holley 4 barrel.

On a carbed car you don't have to worry about crankcase pressure, so just run a little breather.

Comment

Yeah I'm a dunce when it comes to anything but EFI, so thanks for the input. I'm learning......back asswards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Yeah I'm a dunce when it comes to anything but EFI, so thanks for the input. I'm learning......back asswards.
        You shouldn't have to worry about crankcase pressure in an EFI motor either. If you are in either case, you are likely getting alot of blowby, and need new rings on one or more cylinders.

The recirculating systems in newer cars are primarily for emmissions standards. Run a hose to a catch can if you're concerned that oil will be coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          You shouldn't have to worry about crankcase pressure in an EFI motor either. If you are in either case, you are likely getting alot of blowby, and need new rings on one or more cylinders.

The recirculating systems in newer cars are primarily for emmissions standards. Run a hose to a catch can if you're concerned that oil will be coming out.
          The oil filler neck is baffled so it should stay dry. I'm just running a hose from there to the bottom of my air cleaner housing.

Comment

The pcv is also to help remove blowby that can cantaminate and break down your oil . Even new motors have some and that can kill the oil quick . You could put a breather on the filler neck and drill the other for a gromit and pcv . It will also help with ring seal .
            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

dumpicapri85 is right on. After further research, it appears it is important for setting my new rings, and keeping things cleaner in the crankcase. I guess since my intake doesn't appear to have baffled access to the lifter valley, I will drill a hole in my pass. side valve cover and run a pcv, with a hose to the carb. As long as I can keep the oil out of that line, and maintain around 8-10" of vacuum, I should be good.

Comment

Working...
              X