Engine swap in an 83 F250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap in an 83 F250?

So my fiancee owns a 1983 F250 with the 6.9L diesel and needless to say its getting a little tired. She left it at home with her parents and its sort of a back up ranch truck. They have a newer (06 I think) F250 but it has been nothing but trouble lately and I was trying to see if there was a more cost effective option in swapping out a crate motor (or rebuilt motor) into the 83 F250. Are there any simple options for this swap with a better (maybe turbocharged) engine or would I be stuck trying to find another 6.9L to replace it?

swap a 12v cummins into it...rather easy to come by, parts are dime a dozen and run like champs...there are plenty of companys who make the swap kits...

Comment

Any options to keep it a Ford powerplant?

Comment

im sure you could easily swap in a non turbo 7.3..or you could throw another 6.9 in there and look on ebay for an old school banks kit from back then to turbo it...

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
          Any options to keep it a Ford powerplant?
          i thought ford owned cummins?
          07 f250-family truckster
          08 Denali -baby hauler
          52 f1-rust bucket
          05 Jeep tj. Buggy
          livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
            im sure you could easily swap in a non turbo 7.3..or you could throw another 6.9 in there and look on ebay for an old school banks kit from back then to turbo it...
            They actually still make Banks kits for the 6.9 and 7.3. Any idea if swapping up to the 7.3 is pretty straight forward? Might just look into turboing the setup thats in there now or putting a replacement engine in it and turboing that

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              Do they? I have no idea. Either way, read it as an OE Ford truck powerplant

Comment

whitetrash, nah ford doesnt own cummins...i wish i could have a 08 F250 CC 4x4 with a cummins that would be the bomb diggity...

they dont make the turbo kits anymore, i was just suggesting looking round see if someone might be selling one...as far as swap goes, its pretty forward from what i seen...but you can pick up a 6.9 pretty damn cheap and they are generally pretty reliable if treated well...gotta watch out for the throttle cable they tend to F up alot...

Comment

Does it have to stay diesel? I'm sure a carb'd 460 would be a pretty easy swap

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                    Does it have to stay diesel? I'm sure a carb'd 460 would be a pretty easy swap
                    Yea its used to tow quite often so turbo diesel would be ideal

Comment

A forum community dedicated to all diesel truck owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Powerstroke, Cummins and Duramax performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

and there are plenty other forums too...do a little searching there are lots of guys who have done this swap..

Comment

7.3 IDI should be an easy swap. Not sure about the powerstrokes, as its my understanding that the 7.3 PS is a different motor than the 7.3 IDI

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post

Do they? I have no idea. Either way, read it as an OE Ford truck powerplant
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                            What are you talking about? I meant "read it" as in what I am looking for, so I am looking to replace it with an OE Ford motor

Comment

They actually still make Banks kits for the 6.9 and 7.3. Any idea if swapping up to the 7.3 is pretty straight forward? Might just look into turboing the setup thats in there now or putting a replacement engine in it and turboing that
                              If the 6.9 is tired, i wouldn't boost it. Ticking time bomb.

Comment

Working...
                              X