Can this pumpkin be welded up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this pumpkin be welded up?

I broke this tab off when I was trying to take the gears out. I found a guy who says it'll be no problem for him to weld it up but his shop looks like a run down hole in the wall so I have my doubts. He said he would just v grove it and stick weld it back together.
    Any ideas?

Welding on cast can be very tricky. Ask him if he can back up is work because if it fails that could be very expensive and thats if it doesn't cause the rear to lock up and you lose control of the vehicle.
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I would never try to weld cast iron, let alone a hole that holds the carrier in. Time for a new one IMO

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        I would never try to weld cast iron, let alone a hole that holds the carrier in. Time for a new one IMO
        agreed... not worth the potential damage it could cause.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

can it....maybe

would i trust it? FUCK NO

Comment

Theres a trick to welding cast. You need to preheat to 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Weld it up, then put it back in the oven and slowly reduce the heat or you can put the part in a bucket of sand to slow the cooling process down. If he doesn't know this, then I wouldn't take the part to him, simple as that. People weld cast all the time, but it's not like welding anything else, thats for sure.

Comment

I imagine it'd be cheaper to just go buy one out of a junkyard.

Comment

yeah that's done.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                  I imagine it'd be cheaper to just go buy one out of a junkyard.
                  It's off of a 1940 series 60 cadillac. I havent been able to find another one.

Comment

Fuck it, put in a 9 inch. trollolololol

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      x2

Comment

Had a cast iron exhaust manifold welded one and it worked fine. The welder was an old time blacksmith that welded on lots of farm equipment. He did the packing in sand thing, and welded only about 1/2" at a time. He said it would take all day to weld it right. It never failed, but it was not inside a motor or rear end. Try to get another one that will work.

Comment

Find a damn good welder that specializes in welding cast iron.
                          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

I've welded up cast before, but nothing that was put in a stress/tension load. if it's possible to strap it after repair, it might hold as I don't think your planning on racing the car.
                            Time to get on the HAMB website and see if someone can help you locate another rear, just in case....

Bill
                            Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Working...
                            X