1993 Mustang Lx lower balljoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Mustang Lx lower balljoints

Anyone have any recommendations who can do the install on the cheap? I'd do it myself but I don't have a means to press them out and would rather get some help I can bring the parts just need the install done.

Thanks in advance.

it would help if we knew where you lived

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

pretty sure you can rent the tool from autozone for free. i did it on my 95'. it was a lot easier than i thought.

Comment

not the upper ball joints?

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
          not the upper ball joints?
          Lol

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

just did those on my dads 96 stang.....wasnt that bad.
            Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Go rent the tool from autozone. It's not that bad.

Comment

the correct tool is usually the best to use, with that said a hammer has always worked good for me..removal and install...

Comment

Well I might do it on my own then, has everyone used the moog or anyone had good success with the private label?

Comment

Originally posted by heavychevy View Post
                    the correct tool is usually the best to use, with that said a hammer has always worked good for me..removal and install...
                    The fuck?

Those bitches are in there good.

Comment

Moog is good, or duralast ones work good too....think my dad got his at oriellys. You dont realize how wore out your ball joint is till its out and in your hand and you can feel the play in it....
                      Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

I bought the moog ones yesterday going to tackle this in the next couple weeks. Also bought energy control arm bushings will I need a spring compressor or remove the strut to do the bushings?

Comment

Originally posted by grabberblue_11 View Post
                          Also bought energy control arm bushings will I need a spring compressor or remove the strut to do the bushings?
                          ? You were concerned about doing the balljoints (an hour job at most) and then you decided to replace the control arm bushings?? Good luck with that...

Comment

Fuck control arm bushings.

Fuck that.

I looked at them, and that was enough for me to decide I didn't want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by grabberblue_11 View Post
                              I bought the moog ones yesterday going to tackle this in the next couple weeks. Also bought energy control arm bushings will I need a spring compressor or remove the strut to do the bushings?
                              You can do it without a spring compressor, but I would recommend against it. Pretty sure you can rent a spring compressor tool, and has already been stated, you can rent the ball joint tool.

Another tool I would look at is a torch. You can pick up one of those hand held propane ones at Lowes or Home Depot. With a little heat, and using the ball joint tool, the ball joints should come out easier than just beating on it with a hammer.

The bushings may take a little more heat and lovin to get them out. Then you have to get the new ones in. Hopefully you got a big ass socket to drive the new ones in.

If you have access to a press, that would make things easier. If nothing else, see if there is a machine shop around you that can press the old bushings out, and new ones in. Will most likely be wee worth the money. There is a reason that when people change out the rear control arms on a fox and go with a torque arm / panhard bar set up, they leave those bushings in the diff. They are just as big of a pain in the ass as the control arm bushings.

Comment

Working...
                              X