No announcement yet.

Efi to carb converison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember...this is a track car only. and im going carb setup with MSD ignition setup.

engine ( i have 2 302s here in the garage to use), mounts ( i have solid and conv mounts already) wiring ( doing my own since its carb) exhuast would have to find some but not hard with all these foxs running around, 4 banger 5spd my work for a bit to get the car running till i find a decent aod or c4 setup. car has 5.0 front brakes on it. 8.8 can be had all day for 80-150 bucks. so far if you consider all i have i can build this car for not much out of pocket and have some fun doing it....

i could see if i was building this to be a DD it would cost more but being a track car....makes it easy and fun...lol and to think im only 2 exits from the 1/8 mile drag way....why not build a track car.

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
    Its still probably cheaper to buy the complete car.

You need to change the engine, new mounts, wiring harness, new exhaust, new tranny (4 banger one is too weak) new flywheel, clutch, brakes, rear axle, and so on.

For 3 grand you can buy a running fox 5.0

Once you consider your time, you actually pay more for the conversion. Back in the 90s I did the conversion, and today I wouldnt bother. Id buy the whole car
    Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Do it

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
        Its not that hard. I would drop the tank, install a sump in the bottom, install a new supply line to a carb pump and then go to the fuel pressure regulator. From there run the lines into the carb and thats it.
        soso has a sumped fox tank for sale in the misc parts section for $30.00. I have a new holley black pump, inline filter, 6an stainless braided fuel hose with fittings and holley regulator that will run from the sumped tank to the shock tower you can pickup cheap.
        sigpic
        "Thank you"
        Malone's Horsepower Ranch:
        SHOWMAKERS of AMERICA:
        Pietro's Italian Restorante Vacaville, Ca:
        Lucas Oil:
        Quick Fuel Technology:
        360 Wrap

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
          I never said it wouldn't work. I said it will lead to premature failure if the pump is starved of fuel. No way in hell I would rely on a blue pump in a 9 second car especially if its having to suck fuel up a straw but to each their own.
          I'm saying it won't starve for fuel, so it won't fail because of that. And what's wrong with running a blue pump on a 9-10 sec car ??? One of the most reliable pumps you can get. I just telling you what has worked flawlessly for me for years on different setups. I had the same concerns initially , but they proved to be a non issue.
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by fomocosun View Post
            Where would one find this pick up tube??
            I think summit and jegs both carry them. Can't remember the brand though.
            Vortex rear stand $75
            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
            11 4 door
            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Magnimike1 View Post
              Do it
              If mike is on board for the build then it will be done........it was his old car any way......its sereved its purpose, got to and from work for over a year....now its time to make it into something.

btw you got a carb manifold for 302 handy?
              Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                I'm saying it won't starve for fuel, so it won't fail because of that. And what's wrong with running a blue pump on a 9-10 sec car ??? One of the most reliable pumps you can get. I just telling you what has worked flawlessly for me for years on different setups. I had the same concerns initially , but they proved to be a non issue.
                I've used blue pumps for years in all kinds of configurations but I wouldn't use a blue pump as a primary pump on anything making more than about 500 fwhp. If you are running 9's on nitrous, then yeah I guess you could use dual pumps where the nitrous system has its own pump.

In any order, I still wouldn't rely on it to not starve under a load when it has to suck fuel up a 12" straw and then another couple of feet to the pump in a high powered application.

For the above example of a 12 second ride, you would be fine with a blue pump. I would still sump the tank for more than just pick up issue. It also helps with fuel slosh and keeping fuel available to the supply line.

Comment

Working...
                X