Efi to carb converison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efi to carb converison

just wanted to know how hard this is to do....i got a coupe that ive been messing with and would love to do a carb setup on it since i have most of the parts here to do it.

its a 93 4 banger....i would like to swap one of the 302s i have into and do some mild build on it, is it going to be a PITA to do the efi to carb setup in and 4 banger cconverison at the same time?

any info would be great.....car is going to be a drag/strip car.... car is already stripped down on the interrior... was a daily beater til about 2 months ago when i bought a new car.......had to have something with shinny paint.
    Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Its not that hard. I would drop the tank, install a sump in the bottom, install a new supply line to a carb pump and then go to the fuel pressure regulator. From there run the lines into the carb and thats it.

Comment

really....its that easy? i was planning on doing a small fuel cell....but i guess i could do the sump could be just has easy.

im going to start stripping the car of the 4 banger stuff here in the next few weeks....

Whats the easiest way to do the ignition side of this setup.....msd or try the duraspark box setup that ive been reading about.

Comment

Originally posted by thedriver33 View Post
        really....its that easy? i was planning on doing a small fuel cell....but i guess i could do the sump could be just has easy.

im going to start stripping the car of the 4 banger stuff here in the next few weeks....

Whats the easiest way to do the ignition side of this setup.....msd or try the duraspark box setup that ive been reading about.
        You can do a fuel cell if you don't plan on driving it very far. Ignition wise, you can use either a Duraspark or an after market box. I would probably go with a MSD digital 6al or Mallory 6al box. You can either go with a Duraspark distributor with the correct cam gear on it or an after market distributor as well.

Comment

nice...been reading all day about the swap sounds like this is going to be fun....gonna start collecting part after christmas..... now to figure out if i want to do a 5spd car ( which it is from factory) or swap in an auto setup....

Comment

Go buy a Fox with a 5.0

It will probably cost you the same as the conversion.

Comment

lets say car was free.....i bought it for next to nothing to drive for a few months and it lasted year.....ive got my money out it.....plus this is more of a i have extra parts trying to build a fun car out of it....its in my name so i figured just tinker with it. I have a 87 with a 5.0 in it already so i dont need go out and buy another, lol. at the time the car runs and drives and is just sitting in the backyard chillin.

Comment

you can get a fuel pick up tube that will work just fine and installs in place of the factory in-tank fuel pump. I would do a msd setup for ignition. Everything else is gravy.
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

you read my mind.....

Comment

Also, I my old rearend, complete 8.8 I took the posi out of it because I was going to put the 4:10's in my new rearend, but ended up going with different gears. Just needs to be put back together. I sell it cheap, $100. This is a stock rearend that is strong as fuck. I pulled 1.4 60's with it for years !!!!
                    Vortex rear stand $75
                    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

11 4 door
                    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                      you can get a fuel pick up tube that will work just fine and installs in place of the factory in-tank fuel pump. I would do a msd setup for ignition. Everything else is gravy.
                      Yeah but you'd better put the pump close to the tank. Electric pumps push not pull fuel so unless the pump can get fuel to it easy, they are going to run hot and not last as long. This is why a sump setup works better for electric pumps since gravity pushes the fuel to the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                        Yeah but you'd better put the pump close to the tank. Electric pumps push not pull fuel so unless the pump can get fuel to it easy, they are going to run hot and not last as long. This is why a sump setup works better for electric pumps since gravity pushes the fuel to the pump.
                        Well it's worked just fine for years and years, in a 9-10 sec 1/4 mile car with zero fuel issues running the holley blue pump, and it was used when i installed it.

If he wants to waste money, he can. Simply letting him know a cheaper, yet still very reliable setup.
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Where would one find this pick up tube??

Comment

Originally posted by thedriver33 View Post
                            lets say car was free.....i bought it for next to nothing to drive for a few months and it lasted year.....ive got my money out it.....plus this is more of a i have extra parts trying to build a fun car out of it....its in my name so i figured just tinker with it. I have a 87 with a 5.0 in it already so i dont need go out and buy another, lol. at the time the car runs and drives and is just sitting in the backyard chillin.
                            Its still probably cheaper to buy the complete car.

You need to change the engine, new mounts, wiring harness, new exhaust, new tranny (4 banger one is too weak) new flywheel, clutch, brakes, rear axle, and so on.

For 3 grand you can buy a running fox 5.0

Once you consider your time, you actually pay more for the conversion. Back in the 90s I did the conversion, and today I wouldnt bother. Id buy the whole car

Comment

Well it's worked just fine for years and years, in a 9-10 sec 1/4 mile car with zero fuel issues running the holley blue pump, and it was used when i installed it.

If he wants to waste money, he can. Simply letting him know a cheaper, yet still very reliable setup.
                              I never said it wouldn't work. I said it will lead to premature failure if the pump is starved of fuel. No way in hell I would rely on a blue pump in a 9 second car especially if its having to suck fuel up a straw but to each their own.

Comment

Working...
                              X