Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stang Won't start, pulled codes

Mustang (1993, 5.0) won't start. Pulled these codes tonight:

Before pulling codes I thought it was spark (haven't been able to get the coil wire to jump spark) so I replaced
    MSD 6al
    MSD blaster coil
    TFI Module

Pulled two plugs and neither really smelled like gas. You can hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to on. So I'm baffled between not getting a spark and it not smelling like gas on the plugs. Help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by joebum View Post
    Mustang (1993, 5.0) won't start. Pulled these codes tonight:

Before pulling codes I thought it was spark (haven't been able to get the coil wire to jump spark) so I replaced
    MSD 6al
    MSD blaster coil
    TFI Module

Pulled two plugs and neither really smelled like gas. You can hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to on. So I'm baffled between not getting a spark and it not smelling like gas on the plugs. Help would be appreciated.
    the second code is for the vehicle speed sensor. the last 2 are fuel pump secondary circuit failure one is the EEC not sensing ground the other is not sensing power (your fuel pump or EEC is fried, or is unplugged). as for the first, i wouldn't worry about that little guy.

its a time honored tradition for newbs to show bewbs or GTFO.
    Last edited by jnobles06; 10-02-2011, 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling > me

Comment

thanks for explaining what a simple google searched already told me.

I was hoping for a more better explanation of codes 95 and 96. Causes, ways to test, etc. I've found a couple things online but nothing very helpful. And I was a member at dfwstangs, so I was expecting the tired bewbs or gtfo comment...glad you pulled through.

Comment

thanks for explaining what a simple google searched already told me.

I was hoping for a more better explanation of codes 95 and 96. Causes, ways to test, etc. I've found a couple things online but nothing very helpful. And I was a member at dfwstangs, so I was expecting the tired bewbs or gtfo comment...glad you pulled through.
        gotta represent. lol.

you'd be surprised how many people can't figure out how to google shit. i bet it's the pump, computer, or an open/ cut harness since it is reading neither power or ground.

Comment

haha, no joke.

the pump kicks on with the key on, so do you think it could be the pump? ECC maybe. I hope it's not the harness. It was workign perfect on day and the next, cranks but doesn't start. Not likely harness unless a wire broke I guess.

Comment

haha, no joke.

the pump kicks on with the key on, so do you think it could be the pump? ECC maybe. I hope it's not the harness. It was workign perfect on day and the next, cranks but doesn't start. Not likely harness unless a wire broke I guess.
            when the key is on push the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if it is priming.

Comment

i have a fuel pressure gauge there. it reads right at 38 or so.

Comment

i have a fuel pressure gauge there. it reads right at 38 or so.
                so it seems the injectors are not firing. I'd pull the computer and put it back in and check fuses.

Comment

just stumbled on to this

5.) Fuel pressure OK, the injectors are not firing.
                  A.) The PIP sensor in the distributor tells the computer when to fire the injectors. A failing PIP sensor will sometimes let the engine start if the SPOUT is removed.
                  A noid light available from any auto parts store, is one way to test the injector circuit to see if the injectors are firing. The noid light plugs into the fuel injector harness in place of any easily accessible injector. Plug it in and try to start the engine: it will flash if the injector is firing.
                  B.) I like to use an old injector with compressed air applied to the injector where the fuel rail would normally connect. I hook the whole thing up, apply compressed air to the injector and stick it in a paper cup of soapy water. When the engine cranks with the ignition switch on, if the injector fires, it makes bubbles. Cheap if you have the stuff laying around, and works good too.
                  D.) Pull an injector wire connector off and look for 12 volts on the red wire when the ignition switch is on.
                  E.) No power, then look for problems with the 10 pin connecter (salt & pepper shakers at the rear of the upper manifold).
                  F.) No power and the 10 pin connections are good: look for broken wiring between the orange/black wire on the ECC relay and the red wire for the 10 pin connectors.
                  G.) TPS voltage exceeds 3.7 volts with the throttle closed. This will shut off the injectors, since the computer uses this strategy to clear a flooded engine. Use a DVM, a pair of safety pins, and probe the black/white and green wires to measure the TPS voltage.
                  On a 94-95 Mustang, probe the black/white and grey/white wires to measure the TPS voltage.
                  It should be .5-.1.0 volts with the key on, engine not running. Note that if the black/white wire (signal ground) has a bad connection, you will get some strange readings. Make a second measurement using the battery post as the ground to eliminate any ground problems. If the readings are different by more than 5%, you may have a high resistance condition in the black/white signal ground circuit.

Comment

I would do the salt and pepper connector 1st.

Then go here....

Comment

it was the pip sensor in the dizzy, slapped a reman'ed in it and runs perfectly.

Comment

it was the pip sensor in the dizzy, slapped a reman'ed in it and runs perfectly.
                        sweet thanks for the update.

Comment

Soooooo about those boobs, lol
                          Originally posted by Nash B.
                          Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Working...
                          X