No announcement yet.

Sandblasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps not quite deadly.... Sorry, possibly a bit of an over statement there. I'll just say, use a good breathing apparatus!!

Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
      I'm sure he's referring to the cheap play sand that has silica/quartz in it. The dust is known to cause cancer if you breath it, but surely doing sand blasting you'd wear a mask. I think it's fine.
      Oh ok, yeah I was thinking he uses it in a blasting cabinet so the dust should be minimal but that is good food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        Oh ok, yeah I was thinking he uses it in a blasting cabinet so the dust should be minimal but that is good food for thought.
        I made the mistake of thinking that a blasting cabinet was good enough. It isn't! I blasted various parts off a '65 truck and after 3 days had a cough that didn't go away for a week. THEN I searched the interweb... wow, I had no idea
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
          http://www.osha.gov/Publications/silicosis.html

Silicosis is caused by exposure to respirable crystalline silica dust. Crystalline silica is a basic component of soil, sand, granite, and most other types of rock, and it is used as an abrasive blasting agent. Silicosis is a progressive, disabling, and often fatal lung disease. Cigarette smoking adds to the lung damage caused by silica.
          My Uncle got silicosis about 9 years ago. He was a sandblaster for a oil pipe supply company in west Tx. He's disabled now but still alive.

I have two sand blasting cabinets at work I use all the time. I would do it but I'm in Fort Worth. Your buddy snuffleupagus or whatever you call him has access to it too.
          Last edited by DieselSmoke; 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM.
          You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

I'm still alive. I even scooped up and re-sifted my $4 bags. I did use full protection on my face, including a shield and mask, long sleeves and some gloves. Sometimes I would ditch the shield and it was like getting a facial I guess. My skin felt wonderful. lol.

I used other medias but I had the best results with dry play sand.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
              My Uncle got silicosis about 9 years ago. He was a sandblaster for a oil pipe supply company in west Tx. He's disabled now but still alive.

I have two sand blasting cabinets at work I use all the time. I would do it but I'm in Fort Worth. Your buddy snuffleupagus or whatever you call him has access to it too.
              Hahaha, Chuckleupagus.
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                I'm still alive. I even scooped up and re-sifted my $4 bags. I did use full protection on my face, including a shield and mask, long sleeves and some gloves. Sometimes I would ditch the shield and it was like getting a facial I guess. My skin felt wonderful. lol.

I used other medias but I had the best results with dry play sand.
                Easy there, TMI!!

Sorry, too easy.
                86 SVO

Comment

Working...
                X