Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight 6 out of a 96 F150

Are these good motors?

Looking at a truck with 180K, engine no workie, has new radiator, new A/C, new tires, "stage coach" package...

Easy to find in the yard? Easy to work on? Worth a shit?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

One of the best ever made. Can't kill them most the time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Pretty good engines and easy to find stuff for. Only draw back I know of is the fiber gears for the timing set.

Comment

i have one and drive it daily. crappy gas mileage but a good reliable vehicle

Comment

Tough engines
          68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
          63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
          i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
            Are these good motors?

Looking at a truck with 180K, engine no workie, has new radiator, new A/C, new tires, "stage coach" package...

Easy to find in the yard? Easy to work on? Worth a shit?
            most parts are easy to find in the salvage industry but expect to pay 5-700 for a used engine.

Comment

That was the last year for the 300 I6 motor. One of the best motors that Ford ever made. It's no power house, but it has torque to spare.

I had an 85 F150 with the straight 6 and it got 20 mpg on the highway.
              Annoying people, one post at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                That was the last year for the 300 I6 motor. One of the best motors that Ford ever made. It's no power house, but it has torque to spare.

I had an 85 F150 with the straight 6 and it got 20 mpg on the highway.
                really fun to hold it against the converter and launch out on 40K diesels.

Comment

My mom bought hers new in 93, and hasn't done anything to it but oil changes and regular tune up. Has around 165k great truck

Comment

I had 235K on mine, never gave a problem. Usually damned tough to kill. One thing, the cold start main bearing rattle came from the factory.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I know someone that was trying to give one away, may be gone... Years ago, a guy told me anything they make for sbc's, they make for Ford 300's His had a 4bbl, headers, ect. They used to run them in Comp Eliminator, really wild stuff, 7's in the 1/4, no juice or turbos.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rustang View Post
                        A few weeks ago, I know someone that was trying to give one away, may be gone... Years ago, a guy told me anything they make for sbc's, they make for Ford 300's His had a 4bbl, headers, ect. They used to run them in Comp Eliminator, really wild stuff, 7's in the 1/4, no juice or turbos.
                        I figured they were probably a good motor, crazy to think what a built inline 6 is capable of.

Thanks for the replies.
                        Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

The truck has a 5 speed. Any chance the bell housing on the 6 cyl will also bolt up to a windsor based motor?

What 5 speed would be in that truck?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Trans is a Mazda built m50d and is the same bolt pattern as the 351w.
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                              Trans is a Mazda built m50d and is the same bolt pattern as the 351w.
                              Yup.

Oh, and I love the 300's. Great engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X