351 heads on a 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 heads on a 302

Is there any advantage / disadvantage to running stock 351 heads on a 302? When I bought my 86, it had everything there to build a 351 minus the block.
    The motor was from a truck.

Any way, as long as I have the motor torn apart deciding which cam to go with, I thought I would throw this out.
    86 SVO

What casting is the 351 head ? Most are the same as the 302 head with bigger bolt holes unless its like an early 4v head like a c9 . They have a bigger valve but also a large chamber so the compression on a 302 is not great .
    Big Rooster Racing

Comment

I was thinking that it lowered the compression. This motor will be bottle fed. If/when I go turbo, I can do a head swap then.
      Still trying to squeeze as much out for as cheap as possible.
      86 SVO

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
        What casting is the 351 head ? Most are the same as the 302 head with bigger bolt holes unless its like an early 4v head like a c9 . They have a bigger valve but also a large chamber so the compression on a 302 is not great .
        yep, early heads don't have hard valve seats. Need speical head bolts $$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
          yep, early heads don't have hard valve seats. Need speical head bolts $$$$$.
          Bolts are easily fixed with step dowels for $50 from any performance parts place ie summit etc.
          The valve seats could be an issue as they don't live long with unleaded fuels.

And I thought the c9 had 58cc chambers and d0e had 60cc chambers. Either way it used to be a cheap and really the only performance option but comparativly speaking they suck. If they are e6's turn them into boat anchors and e7's well nothin special either.
          89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

If the truck is 1970-75 351 the heads are worth swapping they have bigger ports and valves and a small chamber I think 68 or 70cc. I used a set of d5 heads from a 75 truck and put in 2.02/ 1.6 valves with a bowl cleanup and exhaust porting on my 393 stroker and they worked great.

Comment

Yup E7's. O well.
              86 SVO

Comment

Working...
              X