2000 GT is electronically dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 GT is electronically dead

Last time my car was running I had just laid off in it, slowed down, then it died. Would at that point turn over and run, though it was with no fuel pressure other than gravity, so every time you moved the pedal it died. No pedal and it ran 'halfway'. Fast forward to off the wrecker and then the starter quits. All fuses and relays are good, even the remote mount in the trunk. Starter will not turn over while jumping across the solenoid. Has a top of the line alarm on it, which is where I hope the problem lies. Also had a chip in it, though that is currently out. I spoke with the guys over at Auto Electric in Dallas (who are bad ass btw) and was told to turn the key on and see if the security light/PATS key indicator turns on for three seconds. Not sure I remember that light so someone tell me if it's missing:

That was the first clip. In this one, shot four minutes later, the whole car dies. No more dome light, no chime, no dash, no window rolling up. This is also with a charger on the four month old battery:

Anyone else like the Hmph at the end?

My buddy the tech spent three or so hours with the pin outs and everything looked ok. He was able to communicate using the Modus as well and there were no codes stored. Not sure how good he is in electronics, so...

Anyone?
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Originally posted by mikec View Post
    Last time my car was running I had just laid off in it, slowed down, then it died. Would at that point turn over and run, though it was with no fuel pressure other than gravity, so every time you moved the pedal it died. No pedal and it ran 'halfway'. Fast forward to off the wrecker and then the starter quits. All fuses and relays are good, even the remote mount in the trunk. Starter will not turn over while jumping across the solenoid. Has a top of the line alarm on it, which is where I hope the problem lies. Also had a chip in it, though that is currently out. I spoke with the guys over at Auto Electric in Dallas (who are bad ass btw) and was told to turn the key on and see if the security light/PATS key indicator turns on for three seconds. Not sure I remember that light so someone tell me if it's missing:

That was the first clip. In this one, shot four minutes later, the whole car dies. No more dome light, no chime, no dash, no window rolling up. This is also with a charger on the four month old battery:

Anyone else like the Hmph at the end?

My buddy the tech spent three or so hours with the pin outs and everything looked ok. He was able to communicate using the Modus as well and there were no codes stored. Not sure how good he is in electronics, so...

Anyone?
    PATS it the theft light. mine 00' wouldn't turn over either. when the fuse under the hood (did you check those?) for the ECU was blown. if that is good i am stumped other than the actual ECU being dead (unless you swapped ecu's) or possibly the alarm wires got cut/ chaffed and are shorting to ground.

i had an alarm once on my 95 that someone else who owned the car before me installed. it was all twisted wires and electrical tape. it shorted out under my carpet causing a bunch of electrical problems
    Last edited by jnobles06; 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

plus it looked like your odometer was all screwy like mine when the ECU fuse was blown.

that chip you had might have had the PATS disabled in the chip for some reason. i would also try putting that back in and seeing if it works.
      also you might have fried the ECU when you removed the chip. if the dust cover wasn't reinstalled some foreign debris might have gotten in to it.

here's the order i would go in:

check the under hood fuses for the ECU
      check the alarm system wires
      reinstall the chip. (remember to take it back off if it doesn't work before going on to the next)
      reseat the connector on the ECU.

if none of that works i would suggest replacing the ECU. if you get a used one i think you have take it to a tuner to get it to work in your car since it came out of a different car.
      Last edited by jnobles06; 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

The alarm install was top notch, as it was down by EW. Will be calling Gearheads later to ask about the chip, as I'm not sure. Don't think it will matter at this point since the whole thing is dead. Sucks.

Have checked all fuses and relays, which were all good to go, am going to check them again this evening.

If you change ECMs it has to be reprogrammed, as the keys will no longer work.

Thanks for the input.
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
        X