Swapping VIN plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping VIN plate

A friend of mine is planning on swapping his destroyed dash assembly on his late 60's cuda to a replacement dash he got from a donor. Swapping the dash is easy. So is swapping the VIN plate. Getting rose rivets is not.

Question is, how does this get documented? Is it invalid if you use standard rivets? Do inspection stations or the DMV even care?

Any pointers on how to go about this are appreciated.

Ruben

Originally posted by Ruben View Post
    A friend of mine is planning on swapping his destroyed dash assembly on his late 60's cuda to a replacement dash he got from a donor. Swapping the dash is easy. So is swapping the VIN plate. Getting rose rivets is not.

Question is, how does this get documented? Is it invalid if you use standard rivets? Do inspection stations or the DMV even care?

Any pointers on how to go about this are appreciated.

Ruben
    They sell them online.

Comment

Link? I was unsuccessful...

Comment

70' Chevelle RagTop
        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Many years ago, a guy in Austin that restored Shelby Mustangs, would buy rusted/rotted out Shelby's and cut all the VIN's off of the frame rails and graft then onto clean cars during a rotisserie restoration. I don't know if it's "legal", but there's a lot restored Shelby's running around with grafted VIN's.

Comment

I thought that was a place in Farmers Branch...Unique Performance or something...
            I've heard it is legal so long as you have no intentions to defraud anyone -- so you'd have to put it back on the original car. Accidents, etc, may require replacment of doors, firewalls, dashes...

Rreemo, Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              I don't know if it's "legal", but there's a lot restored Shelby's running around with grafted VIN's.
              LOL, didn't the FBI confiscate all vehicles and almost the entire shop??
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Everybody RAN from the Unique deal! Like rats deserting a sinking ship

Comment

Working...
                X