No announcement yet.

Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had long tubes on there for years and also the smaller later model starter. Didn't have issues until battery moved to hatch. I am going to try a bigger battery and see if the extra cranking amps will help when hot. I have the stock size battery in there now that has only 530cca.
    David

1986 GT

Comment

Describe the ground system from the battery, please.

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I've had places test a battery and tell it was good only to have my troubles continue until that battery was replaced with a new one. I wonder how many auto batteries have been sold this summer with the record heat wave we have had.....a few weeks ago when I replaced mine the attendant told me record #'s for his store alone. There's good advice in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Fst86gt View Post
          I have had long tubes on there for years and also the smaller later model starter. Didn't have issues until battery moved to hatch. I am going to try a bigger battery and see if the extra cranking amps will help when hot. I have the stock size battery in there now that has only 530cca.
          530cca + 15' longer wire run + weak ground system will not get it done for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
            I can't tell you how many times I've had places test a battery and tell it was good only to have my troubles continue until that battery was replaced with a new one. I wonder how many auto batteries have been sold this summer with the record heat wave we have had.....a few weeks ago when I replaced mine the attendant told me record #'s for his store alone. There's good advice in the thread.
            That is why I made that suggestion.

I am in the marine electrical business. We still test batteries the old way. I've had customers come to me after taking their battery to a chain store that uses a computer to test the batteries. They would swear up and down that I didn't need to start with the battery when chasing down an electrical issue. Somehow, the computer will give them a passing grade when the battery was completely dead or even with welded plates.

Comment

Who uses carbon piles anymore? I loved to put a drop of oil on it when I knew my partner was going to use it.

Comment

Just an update. I moved my ground to the frame (thanks Doug) and all is well now. Note to self, don't ground to the axle housing or anything attached to it.
                David

1986 GT

Comment

Just an update. I moved my ground to the frame (thanks Doug) and all is well now. Note to self, don't ground to the axle housing or anything attached to it.
                  lol! no problem man! Glad i could help.
                  Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                  90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

The most common mistakes made when changing location to trunk for batt is...
                    1. Bad or misplaced ground. most people just screw to sheetmetal. nono
                    2. Most use too much cable and wrong size
                    3. too small of batt

Comment

Lol

Hey dave you are aware that the body of the car and the axle housing move independent of each other right? Kiddin, i got sideswiped with personal bullshit yesterday after work sorry i didnt make it out to the gtg. next week i will try again and bring a few others with me! p.s Always check the grounds first in any electrical issue!!!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X