Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging issue

I have a 86 5.0 with hatch mounted battery. When car is running alternator is charging at 13.5+. Took battery and had is tested and tested "good". This is not my daily driver so it is kept on a Battery Minder charger most of the time. It has been working great until a few months ago. When I first start it starts fine and strong. After a few stops and restarts no matter how long I drive it, it won't turn over as well until finally all I hear is the solenoid clicking. I run electric fan and fuel pump.

What else besides battery and alternator can cause this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    David

1986 GT

What is the voltage of your battery when the solenoid clicks?

Comment

Don't know. I will need to have someone test when I am trying to start it. Are you thinking bad solenoid?
      David

1986 GT

Comment

Honestly, I'm thinking bad battery if your alternator is charging 13.5 volts at idle.

I need more info for a definitive answer, though.

Comment

The more reading I have done I am thinking maybe a ground issue. Anyone done rear battery install have insight on where the best places are for adding ground wires?
          David

1986 GT

Comment

Muffrazr told you what is probably wrong and how to test and you just................

WOW!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fst86gt View Post
              I have a 86 5.0 with hatch mounted battery. When car is running alternator is charging at 13.5+. Took battery and had is tested and tested "good". This is not my daily driver so it is kept on a Battery Minder charger most of the time. It has been working great until a few months ago. When I first start it starts fine and strong. After a few stops and restarts no matter how long I drive it, it won't turn over as well until finally all I hear is the solenoid clicking. I run electric fan and fuel pump.

What else besides battery and alternator can cause this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
              The battery tested good at 2 different places. It's not the battery.
              David

1986 GT

Comment

Its your alternator.

Odds are you have the Stock 75amp alternator? You will lose voltage from the alternator to the battery.

Also if your wire going to the batter is too small, you'll overheat it and lose voltage.

Put a 130 Amp Alternator on the car and put a 00 gauge wire going from the alternator to the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
                  Its your alternator.

Odds are you have the Stock 75amp alternator? You will lose voltage from the alternator to the battery.

Also if your wire going to the batter is too small, you'll overheat it and lose voltage.

Put a 130 Amp Alternator on the car and put a 00 gauge wire going from the alternator to the battery.
                  I have all that done already.
                  David

1986 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Fst86gt View Post
                    I have all that done already.
                    Then you don't have a Enough cranking amps on your battery, put a bigger one in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
                      Then you don't have a Enough cranking amps on your battery, put a bigger one in.
                      I will try that. Thanks
                      David

1986 GT

Comment

I realize you had the battery tested.

What is the voltage at your battery when the solenoid starts clicking?

Do you have the ability to check the ampacity of the battery? That would be the best indicator of what is happening.

Comment

Have you checked the starter? Maybe having some heat soak issues?

Also, I agree with Muffrazr too. You may have an issue with the battery not holding a charge. You said you keep this on a battery minder, so maybe it is holding just enough of a charge when you first start it, but then after repeated crankings, whatever was in the battery for a charge is now gone.

Follow the advice of Muffrazr. When you get the clicking solenoid, check the battery and see what you get for readings.

Also, what is the volt gauge doing when you start the car? If it is dropping way down, then you have an excessive draw somewhere, be it starter, cable ends or cable or ground maybe.

Comment

I've been wondering about heat soak as well.

Do you have longtube headers?

Comment

Yep. Longtube headers will kill a starter, especially a stock starter. Although, shorties can kill one too.

Had that issue on my car earlier this year. Found the car would labor when trying to start it after coming off track. Thought starter. Put a new starter in. Went to the track, made one 20 min session, and no working starter after. If I let everything cool down for about 2 hours, I could start it. Initially I thought "well hell, I got a "new" starter in there, must be a connection". Checked everything over, tried a new solenoid with no changes. Moved to cable that runs from the solenoid to the starter and found that cable to be questionable so I replaced it. Checked the battery connections, ground, and battery itself, and everything was good. ( And I also have the battery relocated to the rear passenger seat area, and run everything thru a cut-off switch). Car would now start after heating up, but still labored when it was hot.

So, I got pissed off, pulled the stock starter and ordered the high torque starter from Late Model, which by the way is the cats ass. Weighs half as much, and is half the size of the stock starter. Now, no issues…knock on wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X