Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grungy headlights

The headlights on my 2000 SS look like crap. They're all yellow and cloudy,
    and no amount of rubbing, buffing, polishing or compounding has made one damn bit of difference.
    Is there any shop in the DFW area that stock and install new lamps? Should I make the switch to HID or whatever?
    Any advice is appreciated, as I'm tired of looking at these old, grungy eyes.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Big Pencil View Post
    The headlights on my 2000 SS look like crap. They're all yellow and cloudy,
    and no amount of rubbing, buffing, polishing or compounding has made one damn bit of difference.
    Is there any shop in the DFW area that stock and install new lamps? Should I make the switch to HID or whatever?
    Any advice is appreciated, as I'm tired of looking at these old, grungy eyes.

Thanks.
    Any light can be polished, you just have to do it right. Use some 1500 grit, wetsand the hell out of them until the yellow is GONE and they are white. Then polish with some meguiars Plast-X or some 3m finesse or the like.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've always just hand polished them with these:

You shouldn't even need to wet sand.

Comment

Used both of those, no improvement.

Comment

I have had great success with the 3M headlight kit. Its a 4 step process. Used it on 3 different cars so far and all 4 turned out factory fresh. I have tried other kits and none of them ever worked for me either.
          If u haven't tried it yet, you might consider it.
          86 SVO

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pencil View Post
            Used both of those, no improvement.
            Must be on the inside of the lamp then. Dallas Mustang probably has new lamps and then you had better install them yourself. Seriously...

edit: whoops. Missed the part where it was some GM BS. Weird that you would join a Mustang forum just to ask where to buy GM parts... although, now it makes perfect sense that you can't even install a headlamp yourself.

Comment

I've used the Turtle Wax kit with the different sanding pads on four sets of headlights with great results. It's a lot of work though.
              68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
              63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
              i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Cooter, appreciate the link. Thanks.

Tengram, no worries. I can handle the install, just looking for instant gratification. And I've owned plenty of Mustangs, just taking a little diversion
                at the moment. I do think all the discoloration is on the inside of these lamps.
                The compounding always worked pretty well on my 5.0 headlights.

Thanks again everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                  Must be on the inside of the lamp then. Dallas Mustang probably has new lamps and then you had better install them yourself. Seriously...

edit: whoops. Missed the part where it was some GM BS. Weird that you would join a Mustang forum just to ask where to buy GM parts... although, now it makes perfect sense that you can't even install a headlamp yourself.
                  How many members now own a Mustang, much less a Ford? Keep your GM elitist BS to yourself. The board was born on those that enjoy the car as a hobby, any car. Guess what? They're not all in DFW either.

OP, the infomercials have it right in most respects, clean up the lenses, and they'll shine clear. Never had the need to try the 3M kit, but it comes with accolades. There are kits out there that are cheaper, which may work fine, but you get what you pay for usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    How many members now own a Mustang, much less a Ford? Keep your GM elitist BS to yourself. The board was born on those that enjoy the car as a hobby, any car. Guess what? They're not all in DFW either.
                    gtfo. I don't really give a shit what people drive or whether they're living in the metroplex, but I do like to talk shit.. especially to newbs. Or does no one do that anymore either?

Let the pussification of DFWM continue...

Comment

gtfo. I don't really give a shit what people drive or whether they're living in the metroplex, but I do like to talk shit.. especially to newbs. Or does no one do that anymore either?

Let the pussification of DFWM continue...
                      You were a newb at one time so Im sure you didnt appreciate it. The OP didnt come on here to start sh_t, he came on here asking for friendly advice. It's morons like you who run people off before they get a chance to enjoy the site.

Comment

Most of us moved on to LS1's somewhere in the mid 00's.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec302 View Post
                          You were a newb at one time so Im sure you didnt appreciate it. The OP didnt come on here to start sh_t, he came on here asking for friendly advice. It's morons like you who run people off before they get a chance to enjoy the site.
                          boo fucking hoo.

You must have missed the part where I tried to give him advice. See, that is what this site is about, friendly shit-talking mixed with actual advice. That's what you fucking newbs don't get.. you all either get ass hurt every time someone messes with you or you talk shit all day and never help anyone out.

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          Most of us moved on to LS1's somewhere in the mid 00's.
                          That's because Fords are slow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fast4 View Post
                            I have had great success with the 3M headlight kit. Its a 4 step process. Used it on 3 different cars so far and all 4 turned out factory fresh. I have tried other kits and none of them ever worked for me either.
                            If u haven't tried it yet, you might consider it.
                            Second this. Not sure if it was 3M just some headlight resto kit from Autozone. Everything you need in a convenient package for $10-$20.
                            2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Working...
                            X