Working on a '01 v6. Fan not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a '01 v6. Fan not working

I'm getting a 2001 v6 Mustang in today that has an overheating problem.

Not loosing any coolant and the thermostat has been replaced and the system has been bled.

A/C stopped working at the same time the car started overheating.

So I'm looking at diagnosing the fan. Could someone here give me some tips as how or where to start with this? I'm going to start by pulling the fuse. If thats still good I'm thinking of running a lead directly to the fan to see if it will still function with 12v's.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Check the connectors that plug into the fan motor. I had a problem on my 96 where they melted and I had to cut them loose from the motor and clean up the prongs...
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If the fuse is bad the fan motor is pulling too many amps and needs to be replaced, if the fuse is good try tapping on the motor with a small hammer, sometimes jarring the electric motor will get it to start working again if it is not coming on when powered on.

The a/c went out because the fan isn't working (stating the obvious I know)

Most likely the fan motor is bad and not working, or it is pulling too many amps and blew the fuse. If that is the case replace the relay as well, in many cases when the motor pulls too much power it will damage the contacts in the relay as well.
      sigpic
      00 Camaro SS, stuff, tuned by Sam - sold
      2004 GMC Sierra, tuned by Sam
      03 CR250R crash test dummy vehicle
      08 Yard machines mower, choppin up those blades

Originally posted by Stephen
      FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

ccrm

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteboy View Post
          ccrm
          X2

Comment

Doh, forgot about CCRM's on Fords, been a while since I have been in the shop.
            sigpic
            00 Camaro SS, stuff, tuned by Sam - sold
            2004 GMC Sierra, tuned by Sam
            03 CR250R crash test dummy vehicle
            08 Yard machines mower, choppin up those blades

Originally posted by Stephen
            FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Alright how would you "check" the CCRM. Searches aren't pulling u[ much other than the location. Are there relays inside of the CCRM that need to be pulled and checked? Is there a way to pin point the CCRM with a mulimeter?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
              X