Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 4 hours I am throwing in the towel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 4 hours I am throwing in the towel!

I don't know how any of you get the top bolt out of the starter on an 2003 Mustang GT when the car is on ramps in the driveway! I am giving up. Any of you seasoned Mod Motor pros want to earn some extra $ removing and installing one for me? I will drag it on a uhaul car dolley to you or whatever you need lol. I give up!

Lots of extensions through the front of the motor and a swivel or two. A swivel socket works the best.

Can't physically help, sorry.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

You have to attack it form the front of the vehicle through the top of the k member, it sucks but it can be done. A long 1/4 inch extension is your friend, I know it sucks, been there done that on my 4 valve.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

take it off the ramps and take the passenger wheel off so you can see it better then use a series of extensions and swivels coming from the front.

btw i never put that bolt back in and neither do my friends. holds up just fine with the other 2 lol.

Comment

That kind of stuff sucks hard.
          2012 GT500

Comment

a shortened end wrench works or as mentioned lots of extensions, 2 wobbles..

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
              take it off the ramps and take the passenger wheel off so you can see it better then use a series of extensions and swivels coming from the front.

btw i never put that bolt back in and neither do my friends. holds up just fine with the other 2 lol.
              Funny how that reasoning can never be sold to a customer.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

20 minutes at best....most of that is getting the car on jackstands. EASY!!!

4 hours? YOu could have pulled the motor/trans already and put it back in...

Comment

Aren't you in forney? I have swivels and am in town. I have never done this job though

Comment

With the right tools it's cake.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                      Funny how that reasoning can never be sold to a customer.
                      its because they never actually had to do it or plan on doing it in the future. after the first clutch i did on a 4.6 and how long it took me to get that bolt out, i knew it wasn't back in. lol.

i have actually done it on a few of my mustangs over the years and on several friends mustangs and never had any issues.

Comment

Be careful with the ramps.
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

If I remember correctly, I did it as mentioned previously. From the front the of car back through the K-member in this order, 3/8 ratchet, 10" extension, 6" extension, universal joint, deep socket(10mm?). It's really not that bad. If your on ramps, I hope you've set the e-brake and chocked a rear wheel.

Comment

gotta love working by braille...I think the only reason I put mine back in was to prove to myself that I could...plus I figured ford put it there for a reason. Though I wouldn't say its "cake" unless you've done it multiple times
                            '03 Cobra
                            '69 Mach 1
                            '66 Fairlane
                            sigpic

Comment

Not my first rodeo on the whole working on cars on ramps in the driveway. Been doing that since the late 90's...yes car was in park, e brake pulled and the tires were chalked

<--true shade tree mechanic

As for the right tools...I have all the tools mentioned above and then some. Could have been the 100+ degree temp, the angle from being on the ground and not having short stubby arms to make it happen lol. I hate when you are working on your back reahcing above you the whole time and your amrs and hands start to cramp up lol.

I was able to get a socket on the bolt a couple times with a 1/4" ratchet and half inch socket as the other 2 were 1/2" however with the extensions and swivel I was unable to get the bolt to break loose. Like I said how much $ for one of you to do this. My days of shade treeing are over outside of the normal maintenance and oil changes lol

Comment

Working...
                              X