Where to dispose of old gasoline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to dispose of old gasoline?

I've got movers coming next Saturday, and need to drain my bike to be able to put it on the truck, as well as dispose of the gas that's been sitting in my gas can for over two years now. I could put it all in my pickup I suppose, but being that it's sat for so long, I think I'd rather just dispose of it.

Where to go?

In Cal just dump it in sewage drain. It will be fine.
    might try some of those oil recovery companies knowing CA I'm sure they have something in place to reclaim it.

Comment

Looks like I'm screwed. They have diposal places around the city, but for residents only, ID required. I've still got a TX ID, so that's a no go.

What about putting stabil in it after the fact, and just dumping it into my truck's tank? The truck uses 87, and this is a mix of 91 and 93 octane. How long does it take for gas to go bad?

Comment

How much do you have? If it's a gallon or two pour it in before you fill up and it should be enough to dilute it enough it won't hurt anything. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          How much do you have? If it's a gallon or two pour it in before you fill up and it should be enough to dilute it enough it won't hurt anything. I think.
          It's about 5 gallons total. The tank in my truck is half empty, so I think I will just add it and enough stabil for the full 16.5 gallons, and fill up with 91 (highest available). Unless anyone has a good reason not to.

If the truck starts running shitty I'll know why, and drain the tank at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            Looks like I'm screwed. They have diposal places around the city, but for residents only, ID required. I've still got a TX ID, so that's a no go.

What about putting stabil in it after the fact, and just dumping it into my truck's tank? The truck uses 87, and this is a mix of 91 and 93 octane. How long does it take for gas to go bad?
            It can't be more than a few gallons, right. Maybe 5, max, I'm assuming.

I would just use something to filter it for any debris that's been sitting in the gas can (we always just use paint strainers) and pour half a can of Seafoam in before the gas and the rest after. Then fill your truck up with 93 and run that tank through it.

Or just pour the shit on the ground and not worry about it.

-Aaron

Comment

Just get you a filtering funnel and dump it in your truck and mix it with a fresh tank of gas, it will be fine.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                  Or just pour the shit on the ground and not worry about it.
                  I seriously considered pouring it down the alley, and setting it alight. Then realized that I'm about to be 35, and don't want to go to jail for the first time, right before I have to move.

Comment

Just put it in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                      This!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                        Should I at least filter it through some of your old pantyhose or something?

The truck is just an occasional workhorse, and I never beat on it, but I have no desire to spend money fixing it due to bad gas gumming up something, or pinging it to death.

I'm totally ignorant to the shelf life of gasoline, which is why I'm asking. I'd imagine that products like Stabil are still around because they are a little more than snake oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          Should I at least filter it through some of your old pantyhose or something?

The truck is just an occasional workhorse, and I never beat on it, but I have no desire to spend money fixing it due to bad gas gumming up something, or pinging it to death.

I'm totally ignorant to the shelf life of gasoline, which is why I'm asking. I'd imagine that products like Stabil are still around because they are a little more than snake oil.
                          The shelf life of gas sucks balls, but mixed with a full tank is not going to do shit to your truck.

Comment

Leave it open and let it evaporate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                              The shelf life of gas sucks balls, but mixed with a full tank is not going to do shit to your truck.
                              It sits alot as it is, and has never had an additive, so I'm gonna add enough Stabil for the entire tank, pour the "bad" stuff in, fill it up with 91, and forget about it.

Can I have your contact info for when the motor seizes, and I need reimbursment?

Why is oil so easy to get rid of, but gas is not? I guess because it is so much more volatile? Even the places that do take gasoline say that they are "non-pour," meaning that you have to leave the container there, they don't pour it out, and let you have the container back.

I suppose that this is a good thing, being that an empty can is full of fumes, and dangerous to the unknowing.

I did get $30+ back from turning in plastic Gatorade bottles though.

Comment

Working...
                              X