Step mom's 2000 GT overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step mom's 2000 GT overheating

Dad also says there's some top end noise that sounds like it's coming from passenger side OHC.

He has already replaced the thermo, waterpump, and radiator cap.

When he poured a little bit of oil in the filler neck yesterday it quieted the noise in the top end. Oil pressure shows fine on the gauges.

Don't know if these two are mutually exclusive or part of a bigger problem. ANY input would be appreciated.

Low oil can do all of the above.

What does the dipstick say?

What condition is the oil in?

When was it changed last? Was the filter changed?

Comment

Oil was changed no more than 3k ago, dad keeps on top of that stuff. The filter is 2 changes old I bet, he said he was going to change that this morning. IIRC oil was mid way on the dipstick and showed to be honey in color, no coolant mix, etc.

Comment

Check for bugs and other debris in the condenser, as well as in between the condenser and radiator.
        Is the air dam still underneath the radiator?
        Does it overheat while driving or sitting still?
        Are the fans coming on?

Comment

How hot has it gotten and how often does it overheat?

Comment

Just started doing this. Has only happened once or twice. The car is all stock, so i would imagine the front lower air dam is still there. (It's in vegas so i can't just go look). It's gotten hot enough to spit coolant, but that's when they parked it and started troubleshooting.

Comment

Do the fans come on?
              How many miles?

Comment

How hot is step mom?

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                  Just started doing this. Has only happened once or twice. The car is all stock, so i would imagine the front lower air dam is still there. (It's in vegas so i can't just go look). It's gotten hot enough to spit coolant, but that's when they parked it and started troubleshooting.
                  The fact that it's stock, a 2000, and step-mom driven, says that maybe there's a blockage in the radiator/cooling system.

Comment

My 2K has a tendency to get warm in this weather if I'm driving in heavy traffic. Granted mine is heavily modded, but it's freaking hot out, and traffic doesn't push a lot of air across it. I'm still betting blockage like the other guys though.

Comment

overheating issue=check hoses.. check for intake leaks on all 4 corners of the intake.. ull have a intake leak w/o even knowing it..... pressure test the system...

Noise your hearing up top= could be afew things.... Chain guides goin bad if not already gone bad.. lifters sticking..

I say you'd need to get it checked ASAP.. before you spend even more money
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks ososlow, you were spot on with the chain guide being broken. Ordering the kit for that, then once its done he will continue chasing the overheating problem. Unfortunately car isnt local so I cant check things, gotta call the old man and tell him.

Comment

Well, I got the front of the motor taken off and got the guides and tensioners removed. Passenger side guide was in several pieces. Both tensioners worn thru to metal at the ends.
                          Would post pics of the carnage, but i'm not allowed more than 10kb.

Thanks again for the help ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                            My 2K has a tendency to get warm in this weather if I'm driving in heavy traffic. Granted mine is heavily modded, but it's freaking hot out, and traffic doesn't push a lot of air across it. I'm still betting blockage like the other guys though.
                            My 4V GT always ran hot as hell in the summer. Usually around 230-235ish. They don't do well in the heat at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                              Would post pics of the carnage, but i'm not allowed more than 10kb.

Thanks again for the help ya'll.
                              Host it in photobucket, or use tapatalk. It will host pics from your phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X