No announcement yet.

Brown sludge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanner, usually stopleak will not work if there is any AF still in the system. Most state to flush thoroughly as AF is slick and impedes sealing. Stopleak also works better at stopping flow than most leaks, and is generally regarded as a short term bandaid.

Not trying to rain on your parade...
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

i hate all leak products.

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
      Update. Trans cooler on outside. I looked down the radiaor cap and rown shit is gone ?! Coolant color isnt as green as it use to be. Hmmm. Going for bike ride. Need to think. Brb!
      flush it good, run straight water + water wetter for a while and check the color daily and keep an eye on your oil level.
      www.hppmotorsports.com
      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Ok. I just took carb off and replaced my 3.5 with a 5.5 pv. I also looked at my coolant and the brown crud is gone?! Coolant isnt the best looking but still has green in it. Interesting. Haent drove it since i saw the sludge.

Comment

I hate that F-%^*&G motor . If a 347 with a stall can't spin the tire with an open rear and 3.55's , it ain't no 400 hp . Tanner you road in my vert and its only 350 hp @ the flywheel on a good day and I am spinning an aod . My tranny eats way more power then yours and you saw how it runs . I think we need to pull it , go thru every nut and bolt , make changes and re install it . I would bet money my 83 f-100 would drag yours and it had a 302/aod setup with the same rear gear .
          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

it needs BIG BLOCK!

Comment

What's the dipstick look like on the motor oil? I've got one of those NAPA hydrocarbon leak checkers and I'd recommend having one for anyone modding cars. Cheap and pretty damn accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                What's the dipstick look like on the motor oil? I've got one of those NAPA hydrocarbon leak checkers and I'd recommend having one for anyone modding cars. Cheap and pretty damn accurate.
                Oil was changed in early july. I pulled dipstick yesterday when i discovered the sludge. The oil is nice and honey like.

Comment

I believe this stuff is actually gunna be the stop leak resurfacing. I took it for a spin today after installing the pv in the holley. After an hour of it cooling down, the brown stuff had resurfaced to the cap. I stuck a paper towel down the neck to soak up some of it and get a better look. it was brown and bubbly. Once it dried a little, it was sorta grainy.

Comment

I can assure you that it is the stop leak....I cannot tell you how many times I saw this symptom you are describing when I wrenched on cars for a living.....especially if you used something like Bars-Leaks or any of those other syrup/molasses looking types of stop-leak. That shit will almost always block off your coolant flow. The powered Alumaseal is about the only type of stop leak I would ever use, and never unless I absolutley had to get it to limp home from somewhere. You need to flush your system and get all that crap out of there and also take that radiator and have it rodded.

This is CJ's old truck, right?...I don't know him personally but do remember the truck and also remember that it seemed to be a pretty cool ride. Has it always been down on power? From your description it sounds like it has no low end grunt....once it gets moving does it spin up good and have anything on the mid-range and/or upper end?

First place I'd go would be timing and carb...read your plugs, if they are dark/black (which I suspect) then lean the timing and lighten the jets....they should be a good chicolate brown color with a good tune.
                    70' Chevelle RagTop
                    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
                      it needs big block!
                      460!!!
                      Big Rooster Racing
                      85' Coupe
                      sigpic

Comment

water and oil do not mix
                        I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                          Tell me about it. My coupe was running warm so I pulled the Rad to have it rodded. Found this in one of the tanks. It's almost 3 inches cubed.

Looks kinda like carrot cake....
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                            Looks kinda like carrot cake....
                            Didn't taste like it.

Comment

Gag

Comment

It is that stop leak stuff. Do not ever use that stuff.
                                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                                X