Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why leave a diesel running while filling it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cummins will usually bust off no problem without waiting the glowplugs (grid heater in my case) to cycle even down into the 30's. I usually leave mine running why refueling because it's hot a shit and doesn't take long for my extended cab to warm up. When you take into account how long it takes to fill it from near empty on the first click of the handle(to cut down on foaming), that gives plenty of time for the truck to get warm in the summer or cold in the winter if you kill it. And, the starters are expensive and still have a fair amount of weight on my older 24 valve. I've had to replace a few on customers rides and would like to put it off on mine for as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
      My 6.0 starter was the same weight as a factory 5.0 starter from 89.

I don't wait to start in the summer, or when the engine is warm.

I do turn my truck off when I'm getting fuel.
      You are obviously special, congratulations.

Comment

My favorite is seeing a monster diesel at the gas station running while the girly man driver sits inside to escape 30* temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by payne5757 View Post
          Wrong. If its cold enough they are a neccessity to get the bastards to start. Take it from me, I just moved back down here from Philly and i could damn sure tell when my GP relay went out! Its rare that it gets cold enough down here, but grid heaters and glow plugs are definitely meant to assist in the ignition of the fuel when the block and cylinders are stone cold in the winter.
          maybe with a ragged out POS powerstroke, but a Cummins will hit at -20*F with no grids, no block heater, no problem
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            maybe with a ragged out POS powerstroke, but a Cummins will hit at -20*F with no grids, no block heater, no problem
            True Story.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
              That would be my damn iPhone helping...
              Heardja.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Truth..... This man speaks it!

6.0's don't like anything below 50 degrees
                7.3's can deal with high 30's and start fine
                5.9 cummins 12v's, 24v's and cr's fire up at any temp with zero issues.

The three duramax powered trucks we have are a pain in the ass when temps drop around freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                  Truth..... This man speaks it!

6.0's don't like anything below 50 degrees
                  7.3's can deal with high 30's and start fine
                  5.9 cummins 12v's, 24v's and cr's fire up at any temp with zero issues.

The three duramax powered trucks we have are a pain in the ass when temps drop around freezing.
                  Um my buddy has a 2004 Dodge Ram. The one with the red cummins emblem. Don't know a lot about it but his heater grid has been giving him problems and if it's less then 40 out he needs to leave it plugged in or it wont start.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                    Um my buddy has a 2004 Dodge Ram. The one with the red cummins emblem. Don't know a lot about it but his heater grid has been giving him problems and if it's less then 40 out he needs to leave it plugged in or it wont start.
                    low compression, but even then it should half ass fire off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                      low compression, but even then it should half ass fire off.
                      Low compression? It only has about 140k miles on it. It seems to have plenty of power also. Also when the heater grid does work it fires right up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                        Low compression? It only has about 140k miles on it. It seems to have plenty of power also. Also when the heater grid does work it fires right up.
                        weak batteries maybe...

my 06 had a remote start. I didn't even have grid heaters on it. it was 19* overnight at my parents house. the fucking thing was STONE COLD. I hit the remote start, and it fired right up.

Comment

and FWIW, I leave every vehicle running while fueling up!!

I keep that fuckin' AC kicking

Comment

Lol.

Pm headed your way

Comment

Fuckin-A....I didn't know there was any other reason!
                              70' Chevelle RagTop
                              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Here ya go high and mighty Cummins lovers...... and I quote myself for those that couldnt READ the first go round!

Originally posted by payne5757 View Post
                                Wrong. If its cold enough they are a neccessity to get the bastards to start. Take it from me, I just moved back down here from Philly and i could damn sure tell when my GP relay went out! Its rare that it gets cold enough down here, but grid heaters and glow plugs are definitely meant to ASSIST in the ignition of the fuel when the block and cylinders are stone cold in the winter.
                                The 8 gigantic snow plows we ran in Philly that had Cummins in them absolutely would not start without ether or working heaters unless they had perfect batteries. Yes they will start if everything is ideal and that goes for a stroke as well. Will they start very well or run worth a shit till the motor is warm?? Fuck no!! Assist I said!! They were designed for that and thats exactly what I was saying.

I know there is absolutely nothing wrong ever ever with the great Cummins... lol People deliberately post cold start videos on youtube to show just how rough they run in sub freezing temps and no heater. Even the King Midas touched Cummins
                                Last edited by payne5757; 07-29-2011, 06:41 AM.
                                1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
                                2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
                                2000 F250 4x4 PSD
                                2012 Ford Exploder
                                www.fquick.com/payne5757
                                www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

Working...
                                X