oil change question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change question

I have the JLT CAI on my car and it's about due for it's first factory oil change. I read some manufacturers are flagging cars with modifications for future warranty rejection. Anyone had a problem with this?
    2012 mustang gt. 3.31 MT

forgot to mention i have the 2012 mustang gt...
    2012 mustang gt. 3.31 MT

Comment

Haven't heard this but it wouldn't surprise me. If I spent the money on the mods, I damn sure wouldn't be removing them every time I need to get an oil change. Just do the change yourself...
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I'd do the oil change myself and keep all the paperwork in case it blowed up.

Comment

I work at a ford dealership and I see many cars modified when they come in for their oil change, and I can safely say there is no secret little black book for future warranty rejections

Comment

they cannot void a warranty unless an aftermarket part caused the failure. Example would be installing a blower and the engine going boom..

Comment

I just saw a post here that Jiffy Lube wants your business.

Comment

Ford released a TSB concerning the new 5.0's hammering the #8 with aftermarket tunes.

taking your car in with a CAI shouldnt be an issue...however if you hammer the motor and take it back in they can tell (if they decide they want to investigate further) if the PCM has been re-flashed.
                2011 Mustang GT
                sigpic

Comment

How much is a replacement ECM for these cars? If it is reasonable (under 500) and I were going to slightly modify one, I'd probably chalk it up to cost of the game and keep the stock ECM in the closet in case something goes boom boom, then swap it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                    How much is a replacement ECM for these cars? If it is reasonable (under 500) and I were going to slightly modify one, I'd probably chalk it up to cost of the game and keep the stock ECM in the closet in case something goes boom boom, then swap it back in.
                    They are can bus systems, it'll be obvious the PCM has been changed if their engineering team wanted to prove it's been modififed. I mean unless of course you wanted to replace everything that has a writeable memory every time you swap PCMs. I don't know where they store data at but I'm sure the radio and instrument clusters are capable of doing so as well as the airbag module and whatever other body modules it might have.

Comment

IIRC the lat one I bought was a EECIV was $350.00 plus a hundo for the core if you didnt have it.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                        Not that easy. You have to transfer module memory from old pcm to new its not like an old a9l. It requires proper tooling. If you become good friends with your advisor and take it in for regular service you are more likely to get them to turn a blind eye to mods. We did it all the time when I worked for ford. The ones that get screwed are the guys that never brought it in until it blew up and had exstensive mods.
                        89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Change it yourself!
                          04 GT
                          91 LX

Comment

you can swap ECU's if you want to, but make sure you have an extra set of keys set for the PATS for each ECU or your car wont start.

sounds like a fuckload of trouble over something as simple as a goddamn oil change.

i say just change it yourself. dont forget the new 5.0 has 8 quart oiling.
                            2011 Mustang GT
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post

i say just change it yourself. dont forget the new 5.0 has 8 quart oiling.
                              WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! I have one free oil change after the first one, that blows, though you only have to do them at 7k I believe.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X