Who would you take this job to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you take this job to?

I have taken this task to two different body shops that I know frequently have to do various interior work as part of fixing damage. But they both declined to take the job for some reason I don't understand.

I have a coverlay dash cover that I want put on a dash that I purchased from a junkyard. And then, I want that dash installed in a vehicle. Thing is, its an extremely simple dash setup, as dashes go. Its for a 1987 chevy silverado. You take out approx. 8 screws that are easy to access, and the whole "dash" comes off. Not really the whole "dash" but the only part that matters for this job. Its the dash pad, aka the dash cover. Just some foam wrapped in vinyl, like so many old style vehicles. The truck currently has no dash pad on it, and I have all the screws necessary. So who would you recommend taking this to?

Look up shops that do auto interiors.

But if it's as easy as a job as you make it sound, why not just do it yourself?
    --Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by mystic96 View Post
      Look up shops that do auto interiors.

But if it's as easy as a job as you make it sound, why not just do it yourself?
      Ditto
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

X3. Exactly what I thought when I read it

Comment

The fitting of the dash itself is easy, and yeah I could do that myself. But I'm not confident using the amount of glue it is going to take. On top of that I don't have any of the necessary tools. Whoever does it is going to need at least several of those padded clamps used for auto upholstery. There's plenty of reasons for me personally not to do it myself. But I understand how, and if I do, then it should be super easy for a professional. Yet they're all scared its going to "crack" or something.

Comment

If you know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done than just do it yourself. All you are lacking is the experience of doing it, and the only way to get that is to do it yourself. I'm a computer whiz not an auto whiz but I'll share this -

I had to do a thermostat change in my '65 Mustang. Execpt a bolt head stripped off one of the bolts. I tried different suggestions including an easy out but all ended in failure. I knew what had to be done - drill it out, and re-tap the bolt hole. My problem was I had never done anything like that since I was 16 in shop class and I had plenty of room to work. I thought about taking it somewhere and let someone else do it because I was afraid I would screw it up, but I ended up maning up and doing it myself. I carefully drilled out the bolt, and then I re-tapped the hole. I got it done, and I did it myself.

So just do it yourself..what's the worse that can happen if you fuck it up..and can you recover from the fuck up?

Comment

No I can not recover from the fuck up, that is why I want an experienced person to do it. Once that thing is on there, its on there. I have a warranty against defects, but not botched installation. And again I don't own the necessary tools to do the job. And I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars buying them.

Comment

Working...
              X