Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife ran over something, now need a new motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife ran over something, now need a new motor?

Wife got in an “accident” on Friday. She was driving down the highway behind a big semi truck. Apparently there was a large car or truck jack in the middle of the highway and she never saw it. The semi in front of her must of just gone over it without any issues, but by time she saw it, she couldn’t miss it and ran over it. immediately heard loud noise, and had hard time driving so she pulled over. the jack was wedged under the car and stuck in the oil pan. There was oil everywhere and had to call a tow truck to take to Nissan dealership.

Dealer called her back on Saturday but I didn’t get to talk to them… but the guy is saying she needs a whole new motor! Which I think is ridiculous. What she said he said was, since all the oil drained out, and she continued to drive it (which I went and saw where it happened, she went MAYBE 200-300 yards)… that there is probably metal shavings in the motor now and will need to be replaced.

Im thinking she just needs a new pan and oil and we can just do an oil change in a couple hundred miles to flush out anything in there…

What you think?

They are sending out an insurance adjuster this week, so not sure what he will say. But apparently we have crappy insurance and have had it for a long time and never knew because we have never had to use it. Our delectable is $1500 which i have never even heard of!! and we have no rental car on our policy. So if she needs a new motor, we are out $1500 and who knows how long it will take to complete, so out more money for a rental for a couple weeks. If it just needs a pan, we can have that done this week and alot cheaper.

Make, model, and mileage are of utmost important here...

Comment

If it made contact with the mains I would be worried about them having cracks . I would want to put an eye on it before I did anything . If it was a hard enough impact you could get it back together and it may come apart on its owne . I would inspect it very closely .
      Big Rooster Racing

Comment

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4 Cyl.
        about 65k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Make, model, and mileage are of utmost important here...
          yeah this would help....

edit: nevermind....

Comment

Ill be honest, im not a mechanic and would not have a clue what to look for if i went in and looked.

I have a call into the guy at the shop to call me back today. What are some questions I should ask him to find out more?

Comment

that sucks.

that might make a good allstate meyhem commercial.

www.hppmotorsports.com
              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

It takes about 2 seconds without oil pressure to kill one of those engines. Make sure they are replacing the pre cat if there is any kind if impact markings on it or if the car was using any oil prior to the collision.

Comment

aluminum oil pans FTW!

Comment

shit only if the car was at home i could come take a look for you only live a street away. but like has already been said with that kind of contacted and only takes second with no oil pressure to kill a motor id say he is probably right.

Comment

well I finally talked to the service guy myself. Looks like its toast... he said there are pieces of pistons and rings in there and as soon as its started up, it knocks immediately. soooo.... waiting for insurance guy to show up before he can move forward....

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of . Even a small impact can cause huge damage when parts are moving that fast . Good luck with it .
                        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Get the wife a Skid Plate for Christmas!!!
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I bet the motor is fine.
                            GOD BLESS TEXAS
                            August Landscaping
                            214-779-7278
                            Seb's high class.
                            He'll mow your grass.
                            He'll kick your ass.
                            And while his kidney stones pass,
                            He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

"stay back 200ft"