Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well since the guys on the chevy site apparently don't know..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well since the guys on the chevy site apparently don't know..

... I guess I'll ask here. What is the thinnest oil I can safely run in my 1987 TBI 5.7L? Here in the texas heat. Its just a silverado 1/2 ton 2WD pickup. Going to be running some oil that cleans motors pretty well, and the thinner you can run, the better it cleans apparently.

Thin doesn't mean clean. Rotella is one of the best oils at trapping particles and it has a lot of detergents. Run 10w-30 like gm recomends or maybe a 5w-30 . Synthetics usually have a higher detergent content and may be the way to go.

Also if your motor is that dirty that you think you need a better cleaning oil your s.o.l . Change it more often and use a better filter like a glass fider media filter
    89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
      ... I guess I'll ask here. What is the thinnest oil I can safely run in my 1987 TBI 5.7L? Here in the texas heat. Its just a silverado 1/2 ton 2WD pickup. Going to be running some oil that cleans motors pretty well, and the thinner you can run, the better it cleans apparently.
      wow
      2006 Civic SI
      2009 Pilot
      1988 GT
      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

0w20

Comment

oil is for pussies!

Comment

85w-90 gear oil cleans engines really well.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

5/30 is the lowest viscocity I'd run in an old SBC.

Comment

what the hell does bp know about oil? other than how to cause an oilslick

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                  what the hell does bp know about oil? other than how to cause an oilslick
                  That was Halliburton's fault, we just took the blame because they were already getting slammed over their Katrina weather machine and killing civilians in Iraq.

Comment

Viscosity doesn't clean motors,detergent in the oils clean them.
                    You really wanna clean your motor, just runs some trans fluid,its full of detergent.
                    Run you some 15/40 rotella and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                      wow
                      Sounds like someone needs to do some reading.

Comment

Originally posted by "MrEd" View Post
                        Viscosity doesn't clean motors,detergent in the oils clean them.
                        You really wanna clean your motor, just runs some trans fluid,its full of detergent.
                        this X eleventybillion
                        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Working...
                        X