Whats your opinion on grease zerks for auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your opinion on grease zerks for auto

Another thread I had (and the replies) got me thinking. I don't like those damn grease zerk type steering components. I am referring mainly to Moog of course, but I'm sure there are others. This of course would be all your typical suspension/steering components. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, etc etc. There's just too many of 'em, and even if there was only one, having to grease the things up every 7K miles (as recommended by Moog) is horseshit.

I think we do enough vehicle maintenance without having to do all that mess. So I submit that quality self lubricating units are far superior. Such as AC Delco or Motorcraft and others. There is no grease zerk, and the grease can't escape. Sure they wear out in 80K-120K miles but shit that's worth it not to have to grease those damn things up all the freaking time. Anyway, I was bored so I figured I'd see if anyone agrees.

On light duty applications zero maintenace joints are fine, when there is a heavy load though the lubricant will break down faster and it's not only a reliability factor but also a safety problem. Break a lower ball joint at 70 mph and get back to me on how you feel about them.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      Break a lower ball joint at 70 mph and get back to me on how you feel about them.
      I see this on the road all the time....probably "maintenance free" parts too.

is it so fucking hard to put a couple pumps of grease on a ball joint/steering knuckle while changing the oil? Hell, the oil sling monkeys are supposed to do it at the oil pits right?

Piss and worry about something more important.....like why you can't buy e85 everywhere!

Comment

Yeah light duty stuff was all I was referring to. Just half ton trucks and cars.

Comment

I'd rather have them. Heck my backhoe goes thru 3-4 tubes everytime it gets greased.

Comment

I always preferred greasable fittings.

Comment

You can grease the supposedly non greasable units. It just takes a big needle and a zerc. Really there is no need if the boot/joint it good.

The thing I hate about most people who I have watched grease things theydon't bother to even wipe off the fittings or the grease gun. All they are doing is pushing a bunch of dirt into the bearings and joints.

Just ask someone who isn't a car person just a regular Joe how many.grease joints his car has. Most have no clue. They never check trans,or diff fluid. Most can't change their oil on time.

Comment

I don't wanna know lol. I could get down there and count em, but I'd rather just replace worn parts with new factory replacements and not worry about it for another 100K. Fuck a buncha greasing up all the time. Got better things to do with my time. Like come on here and complain about greasing up.

Comment

I guess it's like having a full set of gauges instead of one red light that comes on if you have a problem. I like good American made parts that have grease fittings.

Comment

Dana makes the AC Delco ones.

Comment

I love stuff with fittings, I cannot count how many times i have heard (automotive/industrial equipment) "It still ran" all too many people drive their car/equipment to failure just because it still worked. Also big reason you see someone on the side of the road "I just stopped steering?!?!" Never mind the fact that there was a 1/2 to full turn of slack in the wheel for the last month or 2. The fitting parts are there for people who want/use them. Im a firm believer that you should know your car like this old lady.

Autoblog brings you car news; expert reviews of cars, trucks, crossovers and SUVs; and pictures and video. Research and compare vehicles, find local dealers, calculate loan payments, find your car's book value and get a service estimate at Autoblog.com.

And then you have the fucks that bitch about replacing the pats that last longer even though it saved them money/time from not falling apart like and older car/cheaper parts.

In the end it is your car and it will reward you with the effort/$ you put into it.

Comment

I know what you're saying and all. I'm just willing to make the trade off for less maintenance. If I could go to oil change places and trust those bastards, I'd probly use greaseable components. But half the time the guy doesn't know his head from his ass, and won't grease them up. Then, they're going to fail long before the sealed units.

Comment

Honestly, get an air grease gun. Then it becomes fast and super easy. Just hit the joints when you change the oil. Count them and be sure to hit them all. Just my 2ยข.
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Maintance is part of owning a veh, boat, lawn equipment....etc

Its the same idea s the guy who doesn't tune up his boat and expects it to run like a top or leaves gas in the lawn mower and wonders why it won't start next season and then spends more money repairing shit with oem overpriced parts than maintaing the ones that are already on there.

Get a good mechanic and leave it to a professional, you will be better off
                            89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Working...
                            X