decent brake set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decent brake set up

We are getting ready to do the suspension and brakes on my boys 86. what would be a decent set up with out breaking his budget?
    for suspension we are just going to run some camber caster plates and some lowering springs and we are boxing the arms with new bushings.
    first class white trash

There are a set of Cobra front brakes/spindles in the classified section for like $200 right now.

Comment

If he is going to run larger wheels I'd def go cobra brakes
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

i saw the ones for 200 bucks as above mentioned... but will they bolt onto an 86?
        first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
          i saw the ones for 200 bucks as above mentioned... but will they bolt onto an 86?
          Not without a lot more money put into it. The spindles that he is selling with the brakes will cause the wheels to stick out too far so you'd probably want to get 94/95 spindles instead. The wheels will have to be 17" 5-lug wheels. You'll need new brake lines. You'll most likely need a new master cylinder and brake booster to get the pedal feel you want.
          And you wouldn't want 5-lug in front without doing 5 lug in back...

you're in for close to $2k if you do the Cobra brakes cheaply.

Comment

for 2 k i'll go with SSBP
            first class white trash

Comment

for 2 k i'll go with SSBP
              Nah, the Cobra brakes are actually a better set up (13" fronts and 11.65" rear). Plus, that cost includes the price of wheels and tires.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                Nah, the Cobra brakes are actually a better set up (13" fronts and 11.65" rear). Plus, that cost includes the price of wheels and tires.
                i didnt think it would include wheels and tires..
                first class white trash

Comment

i didnt think it would include wheels and tires..
                  Yeah, I mean, you'll need at least 17" 5-lug wheels with tires in order to do the Cobra brake swap. Including that cost, the Cobra brake swap will be close to $2k if you do it on the cheap.

Mine ended up being a bit over $2k because I splurged on a couple of items.

Comment

those cars are pretty light so without breaking the bank i would just upgrade to some slotted rotors/ dimpled (not drilled they crack between holes), some braided lines (best bang for the buck IMO), and some ebc pads.

just doing the braided lines will totally change how the brakes feel. that is one of the first things i do when i get a different mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
                      those cars are pretty light so without breaking the bank i would just upgrade to some slotted rotors/ dimpled (not drilled they crack between holes), some braided lines (best bang for the buck IMO), and some ebc pads.

just doing the braided lines will totally change how the brakes feel. that is one of the first things i do when i get a different mustang.
                      This^^^ plus, upgrade to 87-93 5.0 brakes (I think that includes spindles, rotors, and calipers... maybe master cylinder?), and fill the system with good brake fluid and add some Hawk pads. Maximum Motorsports sells some solid caliper bushings that are supposed to help brake feel a lot as well.

They won't be great brakes but they will be good and won't break the bank.

Comment

i run SSBP on my truck and i guess i have gotten kinda spoiled. but for a 16 year old kid with a barley modded 302 i think the stock setup ya'll are talking about will probably be good till he is old enough to want something diff.
                        first class white trash

Comment

88 cougar back brakes are a bolt on, and they are I think 10 inch versus 9 inch. They are the same width. I was told that a fairmont station wagon with a V-8 had 10 inch diameter and 2 inch wide shoes. That would be bigger around and wider too. Not positve on the Fairmont set up, but I have the cougar set to go on my coupe. I have held off to see if the Fairmont deal is in fact wider as well as larger diameter. Anyone know for sure on the station wagon set up ?

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                            I was told that a fairmont station wagon with a V-8 had 10 inch diameter and 2 inch wide shoes. That would be bigger around and wider too. I have held off to see if the Fairmont deal is in fact wider as well as larger diameter. Anyone know for sure on the station wagon set up ?

I have heard the same thing from multiple sources but have never confirmed it for myself.

Comment

i run SSBP on my truck and i guess i have gotten kinda spoiled. but for a 16 year old kid with a barley modded 302 i think the stock setup ya'll are talking about will probably be good till he is old enough to want something diff.
                              I have, 95 axles, spindles, front and rear rotors, front and rear Cobra calipers, backing plates, may even have front hoses, also have 95 Cobra front lower control arms and possibly a set of 95 Cobra R wheeels or 95 Cobra wheels in 95% perfect shape. All this stuff is gathering dust.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X