Painter/Booth to Spray Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painter/Booth to Spray Car

Working on a 65 mustang. Have completed all rust repair, sheetmetal replacement, and body work.

Now working on block sanding high build primer. Have done 3-4 coats, dry sanded, now doing final coats for wet sanding with 400 and 600, so the car will be ready to wipe down and spray.

I also have the materials, BC/CC HOK type metallic.

Anyone have a reccomendation for someone with good skills, good gun, spray booth that would be willing to spray the car?

were are you located ?

Comment

I am in Highland Village (Lewisville Area). But I wouldn't mind going anywhere in the metroplex.

Comment

just do it there in ur garage, spray everything down with water so that u dont have anything flying around and u should be good

Originally posted by DOHCTR
        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

if you want to spray it ill rent you my booth for$150 just be ready to spray

Comment

Isn't it illegal to spray in your garage?

Comment

You can do it in my booth, $2500.00...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I sprayed a test panel in my garage, and didn't do a good job of laying down the metalic, had some minor tiger striping.

Also ended up with a ton of trash in it, now I could wet down the floor and hang some plastic and keep most of it out, but want it to be a nice job especially since I have spent so much time block sanding to get the panels straight.

Looking for a pro to spray it, someone experienced with Metallic and candy.

Comment

here's a tip wet the floors 2hrs prior to spraying and again 20 min before your ready to spray let the water settle in and go at it.

as for the metallic part there's a few things to consider first what temp reducer are you using.
                  go as high as possible most brands go up to a 95* reducer and i use that when its 75* to 80* outside.
                  it will let the metallic have more time to lay down instead of drying right away.
                  then you have your guns psi, most the time i spray real low psi like 30psi to again allow the flake to lay evenly and not "bunch" up if you will.

next you should spray the base coat wet not dry meaning that with all the factors above it will be a wet looking base and once you go to clean with your tack cloth there should be no over spray what so ever, it should wipe nice and clean no color on your rag.

there are always other factors but those are the main ones hope this helps.

Comment

Don't wet down the floor...this is a big misconception. Sure if you allow it to dry long enough you will not have a problem but then what is the point of spraying it down in the first place.

When you wet the floor in the temps we have been having you have evaporation and as the water rises while you are painting the particles mix and can orange peel, fish eye, tiger stripe...you name it. The paint job is only as good as the air/paint mixture coming out of the gun...throw another variable into it and you will have a mess and more body work to do...
                    Originally posted by Sean88gt
                    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I'm in the same boat on an 88 coupe I'm painting. I did all the body work, sprayed 3 coats and blocked it, filled my lows and sprayed two more coats that I'm now blocking with 400.

I'm worried about my airflow in my "DIY" paint booth, as noticed with the primer. Lots of overspray on the first round, but I probably had the pressure a bit high. As I'm finishing all the panels, I keep debating on the same thing, wheather i should farm out the final bc/cc. I don't want to screw up a good thing with the wrong environment. Although it is only a fox body.

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                      if you want to spray it ill rent you my booth for$150 just be ready to spray
                      This is good to know.

I'm just worried about how my paint lays out in my home made booth. I have nice guns, compressor, and some talent in spraying. Oh, and it's my first paint job, ever.

Didn't mean to thread hijack lol but.....

Here's the booth I made. 4mil plastic bought at home depot. It was more to protect the rest of my shop from the mess.

Comment

dave most important thing is exhaust! even with the best tools, equipment and prep you will have all that over spray landing on that brand new finish because there isnt anything pulling it out.

Comment

^^^ what he said! Learned the hard way!

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                            dave most important thing is exhaust! even with the best tools, equipment and prep you will have all that over spray landing on that brand new finish because there isnt anything pulling it out.
                            So get the air out when spraying, got it. I figured that was my issue. There's only one window I open, then I raise the door up and put my fans there, sealing off the sides.

Also, I bought a nice hood, already painted white. Is it possible to match the rest of the car to the hood lol! Or am I scratching and spraying the hood as well?

Comment

I have heard exhaust is important, but too much exhaust can be a problm also, as it pulls in more dust too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X