Starter drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter drag

On my 99 Ford exploder 5.0, it has progessively gotten worse in the last month. The starter spins and works like a charm, but it has to spin and spin for quite some time before it ignites the engine... Common? If so, whats the fix!

Fuel pump? Will the exploder prime with out turning over? If so cycle the key a couple of times slowly then see if it fires right up. My Cherokee and one of my TJ's did this. Both were the FP getting weak and leaking back down into the tank.

Also they would fire right up after a little drive it was only after sitting sometime they would do this.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

when is the last time it had a tune up?
      Big Rooster Racing
      1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Fuel pump? Will the exploder prime with out turning over? If so cycle the key a couple of times slowly then see if it fires right up. My Cherokee and one of my TJ's did this. Both were the FP getting weak and leaking back down into the tank.

Also they would fire right up after a little drive it was only after sitting sometime they would do this.
        My vote exactly - it's most likely one of three things. Either a) the fuel pump is shitting out via the checkball getting stuck or b) you have a leaking injector causing it to lose prime or C) a FPR going bad

Comment

Hmm thanks gents. I'll look into it. I assume the fuel pump is in the tank?

Comment

Working...
          X