Hood latch/cable malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood latch/cable malfunction

95 Mercury Mystique. Hood latch was not latching when shut. Had to manually move the latch to catch. Last time I shut the hood it will not open. Feels like the cable is broken or disconected. Anyway to open the hood short of a sawsall?

Wayne in FW

I'm not familiar with that car but I did open a hood with a broken cable from the underside reaching up to the latch one time.

Comment

BTW, I like your location. My first car was a '69 Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
        I'm not familiar with that car but I did open a hood with a broken cable from the underside reaching up to the latch one time.
        That is my plan if I can get my hand or tool up there. Looks tight. Haven't tried yet, having too much fun mowing in the heat.

Wayne in FW

Comment

Finally got it open after about an hour. Wedged the hood, probed with screwdriver, no luck. Took grill off by horizontally removing screws under the hood lip with skinny vice grips. Probed more with screwdriver. Popped open. I was about ready to use a hole saw on top of the hood!

The cable had become disconnected and needs major lubing. I guess cable breaks are not common but what do the professional shops do about breaks? Looks like all cable operated hoods are a bad design too me. Think I will look at my F250 and see what it would take to open it.

Wayne in FW

Comment

Working...
          X