Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 R134a vs 1234yf freon. - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R134a vs 1234yf freon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R134a vs 1234yf freon.

During my automotive A/c class at TCC, I was informed on the new freon that they are about to start using, and they will be doing away with r134a.

Here's the catch, normally you can just convert and be alright, like was done with phaseout of r12 in transition to r134a, but with 1234yf it's ALOT different.

1234yf is flammable, and not as efficient as previous freons, which means it will need another heat exchanger within the components to achieve the same vent temptatures as before.

So I ask myself, my coupe need an ac hose, flush and recharged.

Should I spend the money now and fix it or just do away with it because it will soon be outdated, and useless. Plus I don't feel like having a flammable freon inside my car, sounds like an explosion/fire waiting to happen.

Not to mention, price was discussed in class and it is suppose to be over 100/lbs, and r134a will then be 80/lbs. (so they say).

Another fun fact, Europe has already mandatied that thier auto manufactures use this on 2013 models, but there isn't ANYONE mass producing it yet, so there is already a shortage.

A/c technicians, get ready!

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Thank you Al Gore!

Comment

Best I remember some of the domestics are using it now, I'd convert yours to R-134-a if it's not already and fix it. Screw a bunch of no a/c in texas. Even though R-12 is phased out I still have a few customers that use it. It's still available and Auto manufacturers started making the switch in R-134-a in 93 and all by 1994. So even though r12 has not been manufactured for US sale since then, we can still get it 17 years later.

Comment

Hey and Dupont is all ready to mass produce the stuff, go figure. Yeah I can still find R-12 as well, plenty of it south of the border.

Comment

The price of R-12 sucks, I never really condoned Freeze 12 but have used a little the last couple seasons. I had a few vehicles that people didn't want to go to the expense of converting and the cost of r-12 was going to be so high to fill it that I gave them a shot of dye and freeze 12 to see where the leaks were.

Comment

R-134 is flamable...

I've used propane/butane mixes in R12 systems with great results
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Actually Import vehicles and domestic vehicles will both have a new freon which neither will be compatible with each other or past freons.

It will also be high pressure around 1200psi.
              The shop equipment will have to be all new also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                R-134 is flamable...

I've used propane/butane mixes in R12 systems with great results
                I've heard that's all freon really is. Never knew if it was true though.

Comment

R1234yf is slightly flammable but it has to be under extreme heat to catch on fire. The cost per pound to the consumer will be around $100-150/lbs but no one currently sells it. The only supplier is in Europe and they sell it exclusively to manufactures. Manufactures are the only ones required to use R1234yf and after market companies are going to be permitted to provide retro fit kits to convert systems to R134a. MACS doesnt expect R134a to be phased out within the next 20 years.
                  Dont worry abut it right now. From what Iv read you probably be retired before R134a is banned.
                  Here's a good article about it and I suggest that you make up a shop name and start getting your free subscription. Iv had a subscription for the past 6 years and its a great magazine filled with lots of valuable information.
                  Most of us have become pretty comfortable with the conventional oxygen sensor, and feel like we have a pretty good handle on telling the good ones from
                  Last edited by stephen4785; 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

invisible article FTW
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                      invisible article FTW
                      fixed

Comment

and another
                        When I was a little boy, our family took annual driving trips to visit my grandmother a couple of states away. Whenever we stop­ped for gas, Dad always

Comment

i suggest you buy all the 134a you can find and save it.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                            i suggest you buy all the 134a you can find and save it.
                            Have you noticed the price of freon going up more and more lately?

Just in the past year it's went up 50% at autozone.

9.99 a can to 14.99 a can.

I think dollar stores still have them around 5$ a can.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                              Have you noticed the price of freon going up more and more lately?

Just in the past year it's went up 50% at autozone.

9.99 a can to 14.99 a can.

I think dollar stores still have them around 5$ a can.
                              I know the 45 i spent on my ac recharge on old skool is the best $45 Ive ever spent. All this green shit save the planet etc is probably to blame. Stock up on it youll make a bunch of money when they quit making it.

Comment

Working...
                              X