Question for you career mechanics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you career mechanics...

My neighbor has a badass Matco rollaway for sale. I have an ad in the Misc for it, but I suspect it's a little expensive for the non-pro. No action as of yet.

Where (other than Craig's list) can we find buyers for it?
    Thanks.

Know anyone that owns a tool truck? I'd bet a Matco man would love to sell it on consignment for you. Outside of a tool truck that'll sell it for $40 a week you won't have much of a chance of getting more than half of retail for a used box. If it were some kind of NASCAR special edition Snapon box you'd do better.

Comment

x2 on this ^^

Half of retail should be about right.

Comment

Ebay.

Tons of boxes on ebay for sale all the time, you'll just have to ship it truck freight or specify pick up only.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

my dad is a Matco man.. let me go check out what you put in Misc
          1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I called dad about it and he said that is an old part number (didn't tell me when they changed) but he could sell you a brand new box that is equal to that one for 4k cash (because you are on DFWM with me) they list for about 5k
            so your neighbor might have a hard time selling that one to anyone that has access to a tool truck
            sorry, not the new he wanted I'm sure

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              I called dad about it and he said that is an old part number (didn't tell me when they changed) but he could sell you a brand new box that is equal to that one for 4k cash (because you are on DFWM with me) they list for about 5k
              so your neighbor might have a hard time selling that one to anyone that has access to a tool truck
              sorry, not the new he wanted I'm sure
              Thanks for checking on that for me.
              The price is not firm. I'll talk to the neighbor, make adjustments on the ad.

Comment

If he needs cash quick any pawn shop in town would love to have that sitting on their floor. You'd probably only get $600-$800 though.

Comment

if he is willing to let it go for 600 I'll take it (for me... not for my dad to resale.)

Comment

Your neighbor has three things working against him right now. One is he is asking a little too much for the box. While it may be worth it, someone that is in the market for a box would most likely option to get a new one for a little more money so they could get exactly what they want. Second is most mechanics don't have 4k just laying around to drop on a tool box. That's why they buy them off of the tool truck and make weekly payments on them. And lastly since most mechanics have a subprime credit score they could not go out and get a traditional loan through a bank to buy a box like this. Again leading them to the tool trucks where they are financed through the tool companies corporate financing programs which are much more lenient than a bank.

Comment

Originally posted by BLK306 View Post
                      Your neighbor has three things working against him right now. One is he is asking a little too much for the box. While it may be worth it, someone that is in the market for a box would most likely option to get a new one for a little more money so they could get exactly what they want. Second is most mechanics don't have 4k just laying around to drop on a tool box. That's why they buy them off of the tool truck and make weekly payments on them. And lastly since most mechanics have a subprime credit score they could not go out and get a traditional loan through a bank to buy a box like this. Again leading them to the tool trucks where they are financed through the tool companies corporate financing programs which are much more lenient than a bank.
                      Makes sense.
                      Looks like $2K would not fly either?

Comment

Why would anyone spend that much on a tool box?
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
                          Makes sense.
                          Looks like $2K would not fly either?
                          You could probably find a buyer for 2k. However, it will take the right buyer and some time to move it. Your buddy would probably have better luck trying to trade it for something. Mechanics usually always have a stash of stuff (i.e cars, boats, motorcycles etc.) that they would be willing to trade. Way more than cash at least.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post

For those in the business they can usually find several reasons. Hard to wrap your head around when your not in the business but the fact of the matter is guys do it all the time for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                              It's not that much, it's only $40 a week! Seriously though working in a shop is a competitive environment, some guys think they are judged by their box and go all out for the $25k Snap On set with a TV, fridge, radio, stripper pole, shower, etc... Others will work out of a $300 Craftsman box with the cheapest tools they can find.

I bought my Snap On set solely because the tool truck had them there and I wanted to upgrade. Yeah I way overpaid if you compare them to what Sears sells and in hindsight I'd rather have a much larger Kobalt or one the Viper boxes but whatever, I made a decent living out of them for 5+ years and the boxes still look like they did when I bought them.

Comment

Working...
                              X