exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust leak

i think i have an exhaust leak but cant figure out where its coming from, i hear it and feel it on the back of the block on the passengers side of the car, i thought it was the headers but they are on there nice and tight, is there anywhere else it could be coming from around that area?

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Header gasket, collector just to start
    Slow moving projects
    1964 C10 350/700r4
    1992 LX 5.0

Comment

i dont think its quite as far down as the collector cause i can feel it around the header area, i really hope its not a gasket

Originally posted by DOHCTR
      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
        i dont think its quite as far down as the collector cause i can feel it around the header area, i really hope its not a gasket
        Thats got to be it. header gaskets are notorious leakers. Use manifold gaskets, or soak the header gaskets in water for a couple hours before installing, then make sure to retorque after the first few heat cycles and about every oil change.
        Slow moving projects
        1964 C10 350/700r4
        1992 LX 5.0

Comment

1 in a 100 chance, but on my 89 5.0 I had, I had BBK shorties on it and I had an exhaust leak as well. I could feel it around the headers, as if it was a gasket. I replaced gaskets and it still leaked. Ended up being a small pin sized hole in the weld. I patched it with some header/high temp cement and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Hmmmm interesting u say by reaching back behind the block u feel it could it be a head or intake gasket?

Take a piece of hose and stick one side to your ear and run the otherwise all over your engine you can find a leak easy that way.

If it is head gaskets replace them and get stage 8 locking header bolts.
            Or just tighten them again after a few times of heating them up after installation

Comment

Working...
            X