What to look for in a Cummins truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 2000 2500 2wd 5spd.

Besides falling apart on the interior like every dodge product, it's been a pretty solid truck.

I've never had anything it couldn't pull, it gets about 23mpg mix hwy and city.

It has 250k miles on it and I've only replaced the inejector pump once.
    The lift pump has gone out about 4 times, the ac compressor had a habit of shredding belts in the most convienant of times, so i keep short belt under the seat.

The alternator went out in Austin and it made it all the way home ( 4 hour trip) without a problem.

And the crank sensor is the only check engine light code it's ever had.

Oh and the front suspension is toast.

And it runs wild on starter fluid. Crazy shit.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
      so the cliffsnotes are:

Low lift pump pressure/volume kills the injection pump.

what else gives them a bad name?

Seems like you could put in a holley blue and a pressure gauge and be done with it? Or maybe put a hobbs switch inline and have it shut the injection pump off when lift pressure falls below xx?
      I believe the xx is 7psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
        so the cliffsnotes are:

Low lift pump pressure/volume kills the injection pump.

what else gives them a bad name?

Seems like you could put in a holley blue and a pressure gauge and be done with it? Or maybe put a hobbs switch inline and have it shut the injection pump off when lift pressure falls below xx?
        make sure it doesn't have a 53 block. They are prone to cracking.

The injection pump will die no matter what you do IMO
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          And it runs wild on starter fluid. Crazy shit.
          lol, it's a diesel, they are "throttled" by fuel... you shouldn't need to use ether or gas vapors to start one. If you do, fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            lol, it's a diesel, they are "throttled" by fuel... you shouldn't need to use ether or gas vapors to start one. If you do, fix the problem
            Yeah I know, it's still crazy to watch it run on it's own like that.

I ran it out of fuel, so we used starter fluid to get it running again.

Got to be careful with that shit!

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
              VP44's are around $1300 and you can replace it yourself. As long as you keep a good eye on the fuel pressure, it'll live forever.
              can be bought cheaper, prety easy to change, but they don't live forever period

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                Yeah I know, it's still crazy to watch it run on it's own like that.

I ran it out of fuel, so we used starter fluid to get it running again.

Got to be careful with that shit!
                it's not that hard to bleed the system, just need a couple commom wrenches. bleeding it won't toast a motor, but ether can

Comment

Good lookin truck with a good interior. That's good miles for it. Fuel pressure guage is a good investment. I say go for it. If you don't get it then you can buy it for me.
                  Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
                  -Fred Sanford

Comment

I can buy a 2000 2500 auto for 3500-4000. It has 190,000 miles upgraded lift pump/fuel system and a new injector pump not but a few months ago. The 1-2 shift seems a little slippy. Trans or converter? Is it worth it? Interior is clean. A girl owned it since the early part of it's life.

Comment

I won't buy an auto without being willing to spend $4-5k to build it right

Comment

^That's a pretty decent deal. I'd like to pick one up before we move, but I may be rolling Grey Ghost style (Forrest will know) if I can get a cheap 518 rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                        X