Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound System

I just bought a '99 S-10 that I am gonna use as a daily. I would like to put all new speakers, head unit, and a single sub woofer and an amp inside for a little upgraded sound. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I want a decent sound and whatnot. I don't know where to start. I want all of my stuff to match up but I don't know what wattage and RMS wattage matches up? Please help me out. Where do I start?

there is a forum on here for this or http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

I'm afraid you'll need to post up how much you're willing to spend before we can help.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        I'm afraid you'll need to post up how much you're willing to spend before we can help.
        Well I was looking at a site called:

I was thinking something along the lines of a JVC head unit under $150, all speakers for less than $125, and a 12" sub w/ amp for less than $300...

Comment

Originally posted by HUNCH View Post
          Well I was looking at a site called:

I was thinking something along the lines of a JVC head unit under $150, all speakers for less than $125, and a 12" sub w/ amp for less than $300...
          FYI. I have a good little Sony HU and a 12" power accoustik DVC sub I will sell you. $100. I will get you the models tonight when I get home if you are interested
          http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Is it an extended cab? I'm about ready to strip down the Sonoma I used to compete in USACi with. Diamond D971s in the doors, Audison LRX4.5 running the mids-highs, 3 Diamond 12s running on a Kicker XS100, AC 3.1 and I can't remember the head unit but it's a 5v Eclipse one. Also have a 250 amp alternator, all wiring and a big Kinectic battery. Also have a bunch of dynamat left.

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
              FYI. I have a good little Sony HU and a 12" power accoustik DVC sub I will sell you. $100. I will get you the models tonight when I get home if you are interested
              I'd rather buy all my stuff from one sport and new.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Is it an extended cab? I'm about ready to strip down the Sonoma I used to compete in USACi with. Diamond D971s in the doors, Audison LRX4.5 running the mids-highs, 3 Diamond 12s running on a Kicker XS100, AC 3.1 and I can't remember the head unit but it's a 5v Eclipse one. Also have a 250 amp alternator, all wiring and a big Kinectic battery. Also have a bunch of dynamat left.
                I think that's a little overkill for what I am looking for. How much?

Comment

Here is kind of what I'm thinking. Will this stuff match up ok?

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
                    Get me the model numbers bro, my head unit took a crap this morning.

Comment

I think that's a little overkill for what I am looking for. How much?
                      That's a tough question to answer and yeah it's probably overkill. For everything it'd be a couple of grand used. I spent well over double that for everything new. The XS100 alone will bring $300, the Audison amp probably the same, subs/enclosure $400 (I have way more invested in them), 3.1s go for $100 used, the D971s are hard to price but they were comparable to Focal Utopias or the top of the line Quarts at the time and retailed for $1300 (I paid wd price, which I think was $700). I'd be happy with $300 for them as well. Head unit I really don't know either, probably $150 for it (I'll get the model# obviously). The wiring, alternator and big battery are worth more than $500 as well plus whatever the big carton of dynamat runs now.

I also have a new in the box Sirius unit for the setup, I just never got around to installing it. I'll sell any of it seperately. The whole setup has peaked at 149.5 on the term pro meter (which would be 152+ on an Audio Control if the mic is calibrated correctly). Which for what was at the time a 100watt setup was very good, within a couple of db of the state record. I never competed in SQ, SPL only.

Comment

That's a tough question to answer and yeah it's probably overkill. For everything it'd be a couple of grand used. I spent well over double that for everything new. The XS100 alone will bring $300, the Audison amp probably the same, subs/enclosure $400 (I have way more invested in them), 3.1s go for $100 used, the D971s are hard to price but they were comparable to Focal Utopias or the top of the line Quarts at the time and retailed for $1300 (I paid wd price, which I think was $700). I'd be happy with $300 for them as well. Head unit I really don't know either, probably $150 for it (I'll get the model# obviously). The wiring, alternator and big battery are worth more than $500 as well plus whatever the big carton of dynamat runs now.

I also have a new in the box Sirius unit for the setup, I just never got around to installing it. I'll sell any of it seperately. The whole setup has peaked at 149.5 on the term pro meter (which would be 152+ on an Audio Control if the mic is calibrated correctly). Which for what was at the time a 100watt setup was very good, within a couple of db of the state record. I never competed in SQ, SPL only.
                        Yeah, that's way more than I am looking to spend. I was like $5-600 bucks total. It's just a cheap daily so I'm not wanting to go all out. I posted a link to some stuff I thought looked like it would work well together. Would you mind going over it and taking a look?

Comment

Yeah, that's way more than I am looking to spend. I was like $5-600 bucks total. It's just a cheap daily so I'm not wanting to go all out. I posted a link to some stuff I thought looked like it would work well together. Would you mind going over it and taking a look?
                          Cart's empty. You'll be happy with anything other than stock in a 99 S-10 though, it's one of the crappiest factory setups ever devised. With that kind of budget I'd spend the money on a nice source unit and the best seperates I could afford. It won't pound but you can get a fairly accurate system for that kind of money.

Kenwood historically is better quality and higher performing than JVC, the BT848U looks nice and has plenty of power for a set of decent speakers. I'd go with either a set of those JL or Alpine seperates if you want to stick with that particular retailer.

Personally I'd recommend dealing with someone local to you with an actual sound board where you can demo everything before you buy it. There are lots of other brands available and even within Kenwood's lineup there are lots more offerings that they don't have listed.

Comment

Cart's empty. You'll be happy with anything other than stock in a 99 S-10 though, it's one of the crappiest factory setups ever devised. With that kind of budget I'd spend the money on a nice source unit and the best seperates I could afford. It won't pound but you can get a fairly accurate system for that kind of money.

Kenwood historically is better quality and higher performing than JVC, the BT848U looks nice and has plenty of power for a set of decent speakers. I'd go with either a set of those JL or Alpine seperates if you want to stick with that particular retailer.

Personally I'd recommend dealing with someone local to you with an actual sound board where you can demo everything before you buy it. There are lots of other brands available and even within Kenwood's lineup there are lots more offerings that they don't have listed.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your help and advice.

Comment

Yes, at least go check out the models of speakers, HUs, etc you're considering and go from there. You may be able to then find them cheaper online. However, if you're not comfortable installing the gear and troubleshooting it, just buy it local so you don't have to worry about it.

I've always been a fan of Pioneer HUs. Kenwoods were always good too, but I prefered some of the additional features the Pioneers came with. Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood and Pioneer make some pretty decent low RMS speakers that would work for your budget and off the power of the HU. I wouldn't try to run decent seperates unless you're going to run them with a seperate amp. Then you'd just have to focus on a decent amp for your sub/enclosure.

Just remember speakers typically die from not enough power, not from too much power...
                              Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Working...
                              X