331 stroker. Cam help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 331 stroker. Cam help

looking for some help from those who know more than me. I have been around motors for years..and I can get myself around an engine bay decently..but this is my first mustang and I am puttin g this thing together faster than I can learn.

so..my car: 88 GT hatch. t-5, with 3.73 gears.

so far: engine builder is putting together my DSS forged 331 balanced stroker bottom end. 10.5:1 compression. main girdle.

On the top, I already found some used AFR 165 heads and 1.6 rockers locally..box stock. I have an unported gt40 (well..2001 explorer) intake, that will haev some work done to the lower. I assume I will need something larger, but that might be 6 months down the road.

My goal: this is a weekend only car. will rarely see a track, mostly for good fun on the street...cruise nights..sometimes some interstate travel to car shows etc. etc. (wont lie..some late night street racing might happen). I want the sound and feel of a 10.9 second car, but that is still streetable and will hopefully hit a high 11 with good tires...so I guess a car that is on the edge of feeling like a track car, but is well mannered enough to spend all its time on the street.

sooooo...my cam choice. I called comp twice..and got 2 different suggestions:

COMP Cams 35-518-8
    COMP Cams 35-522-8

I was originally going to run a trickflow stage 2..but I feel like comp is a more reputable cam company?

Anyway...looking for thoughts and opinions from those in the know? Is the bigger cam too much for my AFR 165? too high of a power band for a strret only car? (I dont want some slug up until 5k RPM and then turns into a speed demon, that makes for a horrible street car). I think DSS suggests not revving this bottom end past 6500..it will rarely see that as I dont feel safe past 6200 probably? ( i could be wrong..if someone can tell me that the standard DSS forged kit with i-beams can hit 6800RPM all day long then let me know, that ould change my opinion).

And finally. Before anyone comes in with "call such and such and get a custom grind"...I get it, no cam is good enough unless custom ground. These parts are very common..and you cant tell me that some company hasnt made grinds for this combo a million times and the grind is now part of their normal inventory. How many different ways can a custom grinder make a cam for a combination that probably exists in a thousand other cars...I am not the first guy with this setup.

Unless someone can offer me proof that my car with run 12.8 at best, and run like shit, with a OTC cam vs a ustom grind...please dont bother telling me. I understand I might give up 5-10 HP with an OTC cam..but if that means my car goes 11.9 and not 11.8, and I save 200 bucks...I am fine with that.

Thanks guys.

I would suggest looking into an anderson cam. Something like the n-61 would be a good choice. Also make sure your springs are correct for the cam. I am running an anderson cam in my 347 and completely un-tuned it made 420 at the tires with a few issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      I would suggest looking into an anderson cam. Something like the n-61 would be a good choice. Also make sure your springs are correct for the cam. I am running an anderson cam in my 347 and completely un-tuned it made 420 at the tires with a few issues.
      Just when I thought I had heard of them all...lol.

anderson cams? I will have to look into that. So not really feeling the comp cams then?

EDIT: ouch, pricey.

Nobody with experience on these particular comps I listed?
      Last edited by nv40; 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

yea definitely look into anderson cams.
        1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxBodyNick View Post
          yea definitely look into anderson cams.
          Just more than I want to spend. I can get something comparable for half that price.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

you should contact ShaunT (forgot his screen name on this site) and talk to him about a cam

Originally posted by DOHCTR
            You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Your logic is correct! Paying 2X for a name is something I have never gotten. The manifold will be a good selection too. Think about advancing your cam about 2-4 degrees to kill off some of the upper RPM to move it down some..

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                What is your setup. I hate to hijack the thread, but that get me excited. If you'd pm me what you are running I'd appreciate it. Thanks man.

And to the OP, I'm sure comp makes something for you. If you talk to 100 different people you'll probably get 100 different reccomendations.
                04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
                  Your logic is correct! Paying 2X for a name is something I have never gotten. The manifold will be a good selection too. Think about advancing your cam about 2-4 degrees to kill off some of the upper RPM to move it down some..

http://tmossporting.0catch.com/

Thanks for the help.

My cam knowledge is pretty limited...is there any downside to advancing the cam? What exactly does that do..and how will it affect the RPM range?

Comment

well i saw you were looking at comp cams. i thought those were pretty much priced at $295. there are always people selling the anderson cams used in good condition as well for half the price. try looking at corral maybe..
                    1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxBodyNick View Post
                      well i saw you were looking at comp cams. i thought those were pretty much priced at $295. there are always people selling the anderson cams used in good condition as well for half the price. try looking at corral maybe..
                      my fault..I should have mentioned that I figured I could find a comp cam used since they seem to be plentiful. I didnt think I would find many anderson cams used..but I will have to look around as you suggest. thanks.

Comment

Some of the Anderson advertised specs are on the corral...None of the timing events though

Comment

Anderson cams are great, but the comp xe282hr
                          Is a bad daddy for a hyd roller. I've had that comp cam in my last two motors 306 & 383.
                          Vortex rear stand $75
                          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                          11 4 door
                          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                            Anderson cams are great, but the comp xe282hr
                            Is a bad daddy for a hyd roller. I've had that comp cam in my last two motors 306 & 383.
                            Yeah..I am liking that xe282hr more and more. I might just go with it and then if I ever upgrade my heads I can probably keep that same cam. I might not squeeze all the performance out of it....but it should sound DAMN good.

Comment

Originally posted by nv40 View Post
                              Yeah..I am liking that xe282hr more and more. I might just go with it and then if I ever upgrade my heads I can probably keep that same cam. I might not squeeze all the performance out of it....but it should sound DAMN good.
                              Yea it will deliver the power

With he 306 ran 7.8-8.0 on motor and 6.70s on a 150

The 383 has been 6.98 on motor and a little faster on spray.

It really is a great cam, really works well w/n20.
                              Vortex rear stand $75
                              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                              My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                              11 4 door
                              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X