Oil pan gasket on a fox???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan gasket on a fox???

Mine is seeping and it's time to be replaced.

What is the quickest easiest way to get the job done, I read you have to remove the rack and pinion, raise the motor off the mounts..

Is there a easier way? What else should I do while I'm there?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

What sucks is I have 1 floor jack, 4 jack stands, unlimited amount of blocks and no engine lift/cherry picker.

Am I going to have to remove the strut brace?

Comment

I'd be yanking that bitch out.

Comment

I've done it by putting the car as high as possible up on jackstands, loosening the motor mounts, lifting the motor with a cherry picker and dropping the pan on the K-member, but it is definately a job for more than one person (and patience).

Comment

Shit fire!

Here's a thought I had but wasnt for sure if it would be strong enough..

Raise the engine from below, and secure it to the strut tower brace from the hooks on the header bolts. And have the brace hold it up. Because it looks like the intake will fit through the center of the brace.. It's a wild shot and I really don't think it's a good idea.

Damn not having a cherry picker.

Comment

You can rent a picker for a reasonable fee. Hell, someone on here might even loan you one. You DO NOT have a good record while being underneath cars. BE CAREFUL.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
              Shit fire!

Here's a thought I had but wasnt for sure if it would be strong enough..

Raise the engine from below, and secure it to the strut tower brace from the hooks on the header bolts. And have the brace hold it up. Because it looks like the intake will fit through the center of the brace.. It's a wild shot and I really don't think it's a good idea.

Damn not having a cherry picker.
              You raise it from below, you lose room to work. The strut tower isn't going to suspend it high enough to get the gasket around the crank hanging down. You'll have to remove the brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                You raise it from below, you lose room to work. The strut tower isn't going to suspend it high enough to get the gasket around the crank hanging down. You'll have to remove the brace.
                Thats what I had figured.

I'll prolly have to rent a picker, and then it'll be easy.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I remove the rack bolts and separate steering shaft let it hang. Pull pan bolts and clean corners and surface as best you can. I cut the old gasket and pul it out. Then I just weasel the gasket down under the pick up and crank and clean it off with a rag and brake clean. Put grey rtv in the corners and where the front cover meets the block and put it back together. This works and never had one leak after.

But by seep you mean dripping or just wet around the mting surface. Gaskets seep and I wouldn't go through the trouble if its not a leak.
                  89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

floor jack, and a block of wood under pan, lift it up off frame, and put a block of wood under each side where mounts are, and lower down.. otherwise invest in a lift, you can rent them at a rental palce
                    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...g/P1010006.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      I've done it by putting the car as high as possible up on jackstands, loosening the motor mounts, lifting the motor with a cherry picker and dropping the pan on the K-member, but it is definately a job for more than one person (and patience).
                      I've done it this way before by myself. It's a pain in the ass but it's definitely do-able. I actually had to change the oil pump.
                      68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
                      63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
                      i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                        Thats what I had figured.

I'll prolly have to rent a picker, and then it'll be easy.

Thanks for the info!
                        I got one. How much you wanna give for a rental? I'm in keller.

Comment

Mike you can borrow one of my hoists if you want .
                          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by turbos66coupe View Post
                            I remove the rack bolts and separate steering shaft let it hang. Pull pan bolts and clean corners and surface as best you can. I cut the old gasket and pul it out. Then I just weasel the gasket down under the pick up and crank and clean it off with a rag and brake clean. Put grey rtv in the corners and where the front cover meets the block and put it back together. This works and never had one leak after.

But by seep you mean dripping or just wet around the mting surface. Gaskets seep and I wouldn't go through the trouble if its not a leak.
                            It drips.

Comment

I did mine without raising the engine... but I've got a tubular K-member that allowed just enough room to fish the one-piece gasket through.

Comment

Working...
                              X