Questions for you inspection peeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for you inspection peeps

I had my GT500 inspected last month and I just carried the inspector for a ride, would not let no one drive the car, no problem he put a sticker on it. I was talking to buddy at another shop and he said that was illegal for the inspector to do that. To settle this argument, #1 Is this procedure illegal as the law goes as the inspector has to drive the car? #2 If legal or illegal as per the law do you have any supporting info I can get a copy of?

Thanks
    DON

wierd, i have yet to have anybody ever drive my car for inspection and i just go to random oil change places every year. I drive into a bay, and they just check the headlights, brake lights, and turn signals and do the OBD check, and thats it.
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Comment

Quilan is pretty far out and may be in an area with safety only inspections. If that's the case they do drive the car to check the brakes. The inspector in Lubbock told me they just need to be able to see that the car is functioning properly(safely) which I would think can be done from the passenger seat.

Comment

I let people drive things our insurance wouldn't cover or I didnt want to take a chance with. something I didnt fit in, like a lotus or cobra.
        Originally posted by Sean88gt
        As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

LOL I always offer to let them ride my motorcycles. I get a collective FU from my guys.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

No need to drive just witness stop distance

Comment

Per the class YES the inspector HAS to drive the vehicle. He's looking for stopping distance, does the vehicle try to dart from side to side and steering play. He's actually required to do everything himself even check lights by himself. If they don't they're risking a fine or losing thier ticket. Samething with people that overlook tint or ride hieght. Some people don't give a fuck and will pass anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 4eyedwillie View Post
                Per the class YES the inspector HAS to drive the vehicle. He's looking for stopping distance, does the vehicle try to dart from side to side and steering play. He's actually required to do everything himself even check lights by himself. If they don't they're risking a fine or losing thier ticket. Samething with people that overlook tint or ride hieght. Some people don't give a fuck and will pass anything.
                Let me know where they work....

Comment

Originally posted by 4eyedwillie View Post
                  Is there something written in the class book or rule book to verify this procedure? Not trying to persistant on this issue, but I know of another buddy who just took whatever class to get his liscense and got them certified about six weeks ago. The instructor told him if you can't afford the vehicle your inspecting, don't drive it. I am just trying to prove what is actually legal by the law and what is just personal here say.

DON

Comment

Thats what the instructor told my class. Your are required to drive the vehicle and if you don't and get caught you will lose your ticket and or get fined. If you don't drive it how do you know if it's safe? If the owner drives it he can compensate for worn steering and you might not even know the car isn't safe. I'm sure it's in the book but I haven't seen it personally. But how many times on here have you seen inspectors say to roll your windows down and pull the fuse and your illegal tint will pass since it can't be checked with the machine? This isn't right, if you have any clue at all the windows are tinted (rear windows tinted, front window tinted) you are REQUIRED to test the side windows. If you can't then you can't do the inspection. You can't fail it, you just can't do it till the windows are fixed. This is VERBATUM from the trooper in charge of my area.

Comment

Originally posted by DC COBRA View Post
                      Is there something written in the class book or rule book to verify this procedure? Not trying to persistant on this issue, but I know of another buddy who just took whatever class to get his liscense and got them certified about six weeks ago. The instructor told him if you can't afford the vehicle your inspecting, don't drive it. I am just trying to prove what is actually legal by the law and what is just personal here say.

DON
                      It says in the book you have to check the distance the brake pedal has play, and that the car will safely stop in sooo many feet from 20 mph your car would be 25 ft. We can ride with the customer but we have to sit in the drivers seat and check pedal play and steering play while its in the bay. So no they dont have to drive it but still gotta check a couple of things.

Comment

Working...
                      X