Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to "rebuild" a Dremel tool? (model 395)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to "rebuild" a Dremel tool? (model 395)

I have an electrical Dremel (model 395) that is variable speed. Was doing some porting on a t/b last night and that sucker got HOT. So hot infact that when I finished using it I sat it on the work bench, went back to it after giving it some time to cool off and nothing. No noise, no smoke, no nothing. Is this dead to the world or do they make a rebuild kit for it?

Thanks.

probably just cheaper to buy a new one but you could also see if you can get some replacement brushes for it, they are cheap and easy to replace. The sides should have plastic screw in plugs with flat head slots. Just unscrew then and then pull out the brush and replace them. Its worth a try anyway but it sounds like you just need a new one. If the brushes are gone then the comm is probably wore out too so no telling how long the new brushes will last.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
      probably just cheaper to buy a new one but you could also see if you can get some replacement brushes for it, they are cheap and easy to replace. The sides should have plastic screw in plugs with flat head slots. Just unscrew then and then pull out the brush and replace them. Its worth a try anyway but it sounds like you just need a new one. If the brushes are gone then the comm is probably wore out too so no telling how long the new brushes will last.
      Ya, thats what I figured. I thought maybe I could find some cheap brushes and get another year or two out of it, but looks like you can get a new unit for 75.

Comment

You can try new brushes and that will most likely fix them once or twice - after three sets they are usually garbage.

Comment

I have one if you wanna borrow it for a few days........

Comment

I pulled it apart last night and the brushes were literally seized into the plastic piece that they slide into. Had to disassemble the entire thing to get them out and scrape the reminents out of the plastic piece that holds them for the new ones to be able to slide in freely. Ran out of time so I was unable to put it back together and see. The commutator looks like it took some of the abuse, I am not sure if it should still look like pretty copper, but it looks like the graphite from the commutator really wore off onto it.

Might be a lost cause, so far I have like $4 in trying to save it.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              I pulled it apart last night and the brushes were literally seized into the plastic piece that they slide into. Had to disassemble the entire thing to get them out and scrape the reminents out of the plastic piece that holds them for the new ones to be able to slide in freely. Ran out of time so I was unable to put it back together and see. The commutator looks like it took some of the abuse, I am not sure if it should still look like pretty copper, but it looks like the graphite from the commutator really wore off onto it.

Might be a lost cause, so far I have like $4 in trying to save it.
              I havent ever tried but if you somehow chuck the comm in a drill then I would support it on the opposite end and use emory cloth or something real fine and smooth out the comm and expose some fresh, unburned copper.

Same thing we used to do back in the days with R/C cars. We used to carry around a miniture lathe and cut the comms pretty often.

Comment

You're on the right track with wanting to clean up the commutator.

The only thing that I foresee giving you an issue is the fact that the brush plate got hot and melted the brushes in place once.

This usually means that the brush plate is trash and will do it again. If you can make a very smooth surface on the slide as well as the brush, then you will have the best chance.

The dremel will stay cooler if you will allow it to run without any load versus turning it off to let it sit.

If everything works out for you, then keep an air gun or fan close by to cool the dremel on occasion with it running.

Comment

my co-worker has sent his back a few times. Each time, they fix it for free and the last time around - they gave him a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                    my co-worker has sent his back a few times. Each time, they fix it for free and the last time around - they gave him a new one.
                    I called Dremel, my unit is older then 5years so they wanted me to pay. Not really worth paying to get it rebuilt vs. buying a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                      I called Dremel, my unit is older then 5years so they wanted me to pay. Not really worth paying to get it rebuilt vs. buying a new one.
                      Dammit!

His was close to that 5 year limit I know, but he never said anything about paying, or them wanting him to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

I wish I would have known that, I had gone through more than a couple. Just wore them out and my wife would always get me a new one at christmas. The last one she got me was cordless and its a POS. That thing has no balls. Handy for quick minor stuff though.

Comment

Working...
                        X