boosted guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boosted guys...

Finally got the old turd running again with the novi. Runs good in the shop and driveway. A/F seems good and everything checks out. Soooooooo here are my questions - should it run this good with no computer tune (a9p and msd)? What is the negative of having no boost reference on the fuel regulator (bbk adjustable)? I am starting out with my low boost pulley on the head unit and an 8 inch crank pulley so far I have seen 6 psi but have yet to really test it. Also is there anyone that still burns chips for old 5.0 cars or do I need to be looking for a pms soon. If all stays well should have it painted and on the road (track) this weekend.

when I ran a novi1000 on my 97, I didn't have any tuning with the stock pulley. It made @ 8psi. I was running the fmu though. Once I upped the boost and installed larger injectors and different Maf I had to have it tuned. What are you considering good a/f. Boosted should be @ 11.5 at wot give or take a little. If it's running 13 or 14 you're running lean. Give True Street a call about a tune.

Comment

boost reference is a must, on any boosted car - this raises the fuel pressure under load.

Depending on injector/maf sizing, etc.. the car will run fine and in some cases won't 'need' a tune. The A/F can be 'close enough' to work, but most likely not optimum.

Comment

my a/f is around 10-12 going richer as revs increase. the only time I have seen lean around 15:1 is after throttle is closed for a split second. i have bigger injectors and so on but what guess i am getting at is would it be stupid to drive it as-is before i can find some one to tune it or buy a pms or some tuning software. Also can anyone recommend a good boost referencing fuel pressure regulator?........I am keeping tabs on everything with a wideband and fuel pressure gauge in the car so i can see things as they develop, and I have only set base timing so far but conservatively. i am not totally lost but this is all new to me so any help (constructive criticism) will be appreciated.

Comment

also what is the difference between an adjustable regulator and one with boost reference?

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
            my a/f is around 10-12 going richer as revs increase. the only time I have seen lean around 15:1 is after throttle is closed for a split second. i have bigger injectors and so on but what guess i am getting at is would it be stupid to drive it as-is before i can find some one to tune it or buy a pms or some tuning software. Also can anyone recommend a good boost referencing fuel pressure regulator?........I am keeping tabs on everything with a wideband and fuel pressure gauge in the car so i can see things as they develop, and I have only set base timing so far but conservatively. i am not totally lost but this is all new to me so any help (constructive criticism) will be appreciated.
            10-12 is a huge difference. If it really is that rich, you run risk of hurting it because of bieng over-fueled. Does the car have big fuel lines and regulator or is it a stock fuel system? I'd run a kirban or equivelant if it's stock lines. Boost referencing is simply plugging the vacuum line into the regulator.

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
            also what is the difference between an adjustable regulator and one with boost reference?
            adjustable is merely bieng able to adjust the fuel pressure, boost reference raises fuel pressure 1:1 with boost. 1lb boost = 1lb fuel pressure added.

Comment

it has a 255 pump, stock lines, and larger fuel rails, 42# injectors and a maf for the 42#ers, the vacuum line is hooked up to the (bbk) regulator< I have been playing with fuel pressure but do not have a WOT reading yet (under load) it was lean at stock pressure so I have since added pressure and taken out timing.

Comment

Working...
              X