T5 re assembly question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 re assembly question.

Ok, so I got the shift fork and I went in to replace it.

The only problem that I'm having is getting the forks and shifting mechanism back into position. I got it all bolted together, and put the shifter on to check and make sure I could go through the gears. I noticed it wouldn't go into reverse and the input shaft will not turn, but the output spins freely while in nuetral.

What is wrong? I'm sure it's something simple.

Thanks.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Shift fork

Syncro. I've never had a grind issue from this trans, besides 5th.

Comment

You didn't notice the grind because of that shifter.

What would have been a grind was that crunch feeling that made your palm hurt going into third, or your burning fingertips in second and fourth.

At least that's what I felt when my timing was off.

As far as why it's not going back together....

Section 6 deals with re-assembly of the World Class T-5. You will find info for World Class (WC) and Non World Class (NWC) in this PDF. You should have a World Class T-5.

Comment

I read the PDF last night, I'm about to go tear back into it.

The syncro in the picture is 5th and reverse? Because the gear pictured (straight gear) is the reverse gear.

Comment

As for the hand pain, not in 3rd or 4th, those are smooth as butter, so smooth I can get them to chirp the tires on occasion. But 5th is a peice of shit.

Comment

I just looked again. Too early to notice that before.

Fifth gear was an after thought. An add on, if you will.

Never, ever, ever think it is okay to speed shift fifth.

Driveline vibration is a huge contributor to the fifth gear synchro getting chewed on.

Didn't you have a heavy vibration early on with your car?

Comment

The gear in the picture is the 2nd gear.

Comment

Went out, took the tailhousing off and got the trans to spin again, bolted and sealed it back together, and it spins and each gear catches and rotates. So that's fixed.

5th gear is on the outside of the casing, and it looks to be In good shape. After looking at the picture, I noticed that the gear is the reverse gear but the damaged syncro isn't for reverse, it's second like thesource mentioned.

I'll run this trans until it won't shift anymore, meanwhile I'll be saving for a TKO or a better then stock t5.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                  I just looked again. Too early to notice that before.

Fifth gear was an after thought. An add on, if you will.

Never, ever, ever think it is okay to speed shift fifth.

Driveline vibration is a huge contributor to the fifth gear synchro getting chewed on.

Didn't you have a heavy vibration early on with your car?
                  Yes and it still vibrates, the motor mounts are bad and they will be getting replaced before the car starts again.

Comment

Reverse always takes a beating in a T5. Most people do not let the trans slow down after pushing the clutch in before hitting reverse thus the grinding. Its designed to take a good deal of abuse. The little bit of wear on the 1-2-reverse slider you have shown in the picture isn't enough to worry about. The engaugement teeth on the 2nd gear are pretty hammered but that comes from banging the hell out of 2nd gear or shifting it with the clutch out of adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                      Reverse always takes a beating in a T5. Most people do not let the trans slow down after pushing the clutch in before hitting reverse thus the grinding. Its designed to take a good deal of abuse. The little bit of wear on the 1-2-reverse slider you have shown in the picture isn't enough to worry about. The engaugement teeth on the 2nd gear are pretty hammered but that comes from banging the hell out of 2nd gear or shifting it with the clutch out of adjustment.
                      Yeah, I'm not the friendliest person to this transmission. It still shifts fine, I just blew through the fork, so hopefully with that fixed I'll be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                        Yeah, I'm not the friendliest person to this transmission. It still shifts fine, I just blew through the fork, so hopefully with that fixed I'll be ok.
                        Is that the unit I sold you a while back? I can tell from the fork damage you are banging it hard. I would make sure your clutch is adjusted right or you will keep destroying internals in the unit. Its like trying to force a hammer through a brick wall when the clutch is still catching.

Comment

Is that the unit I sold you a while back? I can tell from the fork damage you are banging it hard. I would make sure your clutch is adjusted right or you will keep destroying internals in the unit. Its like trying to force a hammer through a brick wall when the clutch is still catching.
                          The clutch was messed up, and I fixed that and it made a world of difference. And yes it's the same unit.

Comment

The gear in the picture is the 2nd gear.
                            sounds like I need to get my head back in my t-5 before i ever give advice again.

Comment

Working...
                            X