Timing gear on 4.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing gear on 4.2

Is it a common occurance for the timing gear to not stay put... Its happened twice now. The first time caused carnage to the camshaft, exploded a couple lifters, trashed the rest of them, lifter tray was trashed and some damage to a couple of the lifter holes. Put all new parts in and lock tight on the timing gear bolt and torqued to specs. Now Im back to square one and needing the same parts again. So whats the deal, am I missing something? any advice, tips, tricks, voodoo... anything that will keep me from having to deal with this again???

Tighten it more or weld the bitch

Comment

Anyone with a response that might actually be helpful?

Comment

What kind of loctite? Perhaps clean holes and bolts with brake clean and use some red.

Comment

New bolt? Is it a tty bolt?
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

New bolt/Lock tite/torque to spec + a few

Comment

Yes, it was a new bolt.. not sure which lock tite it was exactly... after the initial rebuild, I drove it about 2500 miles... pulled up in the driveway and shut it off, nothing out of the ordinary. Tried to crank it two days later and it would barely run... then not at all. after new coil packs, plugs, crank sensor, cam sensor didnt work I tore it down and found the cam gear was loose. It had chewed up the cam, lifters ect. So all the normal precautions were takin to keep it from happening again and no luck... back to square one!

Comment

does it have a key way? if so maybe the key is worn allowing it to vibrate loose or something.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                  does it have a key way? if so maybe the key is worn allowing it to vibrate loose or something.
                  No, there is no keyway, not line up pin... nothing that makes any sense. Its suppose to stay by just torqing the gear onto the cam with nothing but a spacer between the cam and the gear... friggin stupid, but thats it.

Comment

Working...
                  X